Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Platform - User Assistance (UA) » Has anyone successfully used the update commands available for infocenter? (Update command usage)
Has anyone successfully used the update commands available for infocenter? [message #787542] Tue, 31 January 2012 17:47 Go to next message
Gretchen Moran is currently offline Gretchen MoranFriend
Our requirement for using infocenter in production is to be able to update existing doc plugins, and deploy new ones, without having to restart the server. I found some doc in CVS referring to update and addSite commands that could accomplish this.

I ran an addSite command (with the -from site pointing to the root plugins directory), and followed that with the apply command. I refreshed my browser, and saw no change in my doc structure, even though there were several new doc plugins in the -from site. I then looked in my infocenter log, and there were log entries for every plugin that already existed, but no log entries telling me anything about the new plugins I wanted to get picked up.

When I try to rerun the addSite, I get a log entry that says site already exists.

So I have to believe I'm on the right track but missing some crucial piece. Where exactly should hte -to and -from parameters be pointing to in order for the update or addSite to work? Do I have to have my doc plugins packaged as features? Do my two and from parameters have to be live InfoCenter sites, or can they be plugin/feature directories?

Any additional guidance would sure save me some time. I believe this should work, I think I just do not know the proper criteria for specifying what can/should be updated.

Many thanks in advance,
Gretchen
Re: Has anyone successfully used the update commands available for infocenter? [message #787855 is a reply to message #787542] Wed, 01 February 2012 03:37 Go to previous message
Gretchen Moran is currently offline Gretchen MoranFriend
So, I do have a few new insights. I packaged my plugins as features, then deployed them to an Eclipse update site, and my update commands began to function semi-successfully. My content was updated just fine (without a server restart) but the main table of contents was not. I'm assuming this is what happens when you homegrow half an InfoCenter, then try to use the update API:)

My next round of testing will involve installing my product plugin and all doc plugins to a clean InfoCenter deployment via the update API. Then I'm hoping the updates are happier.

So, while I still am not convinced that I must use features and update sites, the update API is more successful when I have my plugins packaged this way.

I hope this helps anyone else who may be wondering. I would certainly appreciate additional details from anyone in the know!!\

kindest regards,
Gretchen
Previous Topic:How to integrate toolbar below content frame but above footer
Next Topic:Cheat Sheet : Access Editor & Switch Pages
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Mar 19 05:36:04 GMT 2024