Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Equinox » Programmatically start Equinox in standalone application
Programmatically start Equinox in standalone application [message #91367] Fri, 29 June 2007 15:29 Go to next message
Eclipse UserFriend
Originally posted by: ddanny.gmail.com

Hello,

I am new to OSGi and Eclipse Equinox, so please accept my apologies if I am asking some sort of stupid questions.

We are currently developing a standalone J2SE application that will need to load some bundles/plugins/modules that will be written for it. We have chosen Eclipse Equinox as the OSGi implementation.

We have several questions:
1. Is it possible to write the plugins as Equinox bundles?
2. Is it possible to programmatically start the Equinox framework from our application?
3. If #2 is possible, is it possible to programmatically install, start, stop... the bundles?

Thank you,

Dan
Re: Programmatically start Equinox in standalone application [message #91383 is a reply to message #91367] Fri, 29 June 2007 22:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Eclipse UserFriend
Originally posted by: alex_blewitt.yahoo.com

Yes, you can embed Equinox in your Java application, and from there, install/start/stop items.

EclipseStarter.startup(...)

http://help.eclipse.org/help33/index.jsp?topic=/org.eclipse. platform.doc.isv/reference/api/org/eclipse/core/runtime/adap tor/EclipseStarter.html

That will give back a BundleContext of the system bundle that you can then use to do e.g. Bundle.install().

However, your application won't have visibility to the plugins defined; the classloaders aren't compatible. Your best bet would be to start up Eclipse, then bring up your existing Java application as a (large) bundle, and then define the additional plugins from there.

Alex.
Re: Programmatically start Equinox in standalone application [message #91502 is a reply to message #91383] Wed, 04 July 2007 06:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Eclipse UserFriend

Alex,

Thank you for your reply!
I have also noticed your tutorial later and it seems to work fine, now.
http://www.eclipsezone.com/eclipse/forums/t93976.rhtml

Regards,

Dan
Re: Programmatically start Equinox in standalone application [message #91621 is a reply to message #91502] Fri, 06 July 2007 06:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Eclipse UserFriend
Originally posted by: lakemove.gmail.com

Dan Dromereschi 写道:
> Alex,
>
> Thank you for your reply!
> I have also noticed your tutorial later and it seems to work fine, now.
> http://www.eclipsezone.com/eclipse/forums/t93976.rhtml
>
> Regards,
>
> Dan

hey, im a newbie. the link you provide works fine. then i have another
question :

it works if i run "EclipseStarter.startup(equinoxArgs,null);" in main
method , but as a JUnit TestCase, it doesn't:

@Test
public void testEclipseStarter()throws Exception
{
//the starter codes.....
}

BR
Jay
Re: Programmatically start Equinox in standalone application [message #91648 is a reply to message #91621] Fri, 06 July 2007 08:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Eclipse UserFriend

You might be trying to start it multiple times. You should really tear it down each time with shutdown in the setUp and tearDown methods.

Alex.
Re: Programmatically start Equinox in standalone application [message #91837 is a reply to message #91648] Mon, 09 July 2007 17:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Eclipse UserFriend

Alex,

Is it possible to write a bundle that uses code from .jar libraries, but it also needs some native libraries?
Could you direct me to a good tutorial / example?

Thank you,

Dan
Re: Programmatically start Equinox in standalone application [message #92098 is a reply to message #91837] Fri, 13 July 2007 14:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Brett Humphreys is currently offline Brett HumphreysFriend
Dan Dromereschi wrote:
> Is it possible to write a bundle that uses code from .jar libraries, but it also needs some native libraries?
> Could you direct me to a good tutorial / example?

Dan,
I don't have a tutorial for you, but the OSGi R4 guide (downloadable from the osgi site) is a great
starting point. I know the OSGi R4 spec allows for library jar files (that can be embedded within a
bundle) and I believe there are allowances made for native libraries as well.

-Brett
Re: Programmatically start Equinox in standalone application [message #92113 is a reply to message #92098] Fri, 13 July 2007 17:19 Go to previous message
Eclipse UserFriend

I touched on it (briefly) at http://www.eclipse.org/articles/eclipse-vms/ if you wanted to look at that.

Alex.
Previous Topic:JSF support / myFaces and equinox
Next Topic:BundleActivator in main thread
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 20:02:53 GMT 2024