Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Newcomers » Newcomers » Problems installing Eclipse(Error when installing eclipse for the first time)
Problems installing Eclipse [message #784140] Fri, 27 January 2012 05:17 Go to next message
Lance Douglas is currently offline Lance DouglasFriend
Hi, I am completely new to java and to app development (which I plan to use eclipse for) so please don't ream me too bad Wink

I keep getting this error when attempting to install Eclipse for the first time on my computer. I have java JDK SE 6 Update 30 installed and I have successfully built and compiled simple code using netbeans.

It keeps telling me that there is no java virtual machine found, but it searches the folder from which eclipse installs from which doesn't make much sense to me. If there's anything that I'm blatantly doing wrong, please give some insight on how I'm supposed to fix this.

---------------------------
Eclipse
A Java Runtime Environment (JRE) or Java Development Kit (JDK)
must be available in order to run Eclipse. No Java virtual machine
was found after searching the following locations:
C:\Users\Lance Douglas\Downloads\eclipse-SDK-3.7.1-win32-x86_64\eclipse\jre\bin\javaw.exe
javaw.exe in your current PATH
OK

The folder it is searching does not even exist. (\jre\bin\javaw.exe)
Re: Problems installing Eclipse [message #784466 is a reply to message #784140] Fri, 27 January 2012 15:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
David Wegener is currently offline David WegenerFriend
Eclipse looks in a number of places to find a Java VM to run in by looking at the eclipse.ini, the PATH environment variable, and some other possible locations.. The jre directory you reference is the last place it looks. Eclipse isn't finding any VM on your system. You can either add the JDK bin directory to the PATH, include a command line -vm switch, or follow the preferred method and add an entry to the eclipse.ini file to point to the vm.

The eclipse.ini file solution is documented here:
http://wiki.eclipse.org/Eclipse.ini
Re: Problems installing Eclipse [message #784544 is a reply to message #784466] Fri, 27 January 2012 17:22 Go to previous message
Lance Douglas is currently offline Lance DouglasFriend
Thank you! After some fiddling with the eclipse.ini file I was able to redirect it to my JDK bin directory. My .ini was much different than what the help page suggested it was supposed to look like, so I deleted what was there and copied over what should have been from the page you linked me to.

Again thanks, problem solved.
Previous Topic:Compatibility of InstanceScope in lower version of eclipse
Next Topic:Stanford Eclipse Issue
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Jun 22 13:23:42 GMT 2021