Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Modeling » EMF » [TENEO] UML2 experience(does TENEO support UML2?)
[TENEO] UML2 experience [message #780512] Wed, 18 January 2012 11:53 Go to next message
Philipp Kalb is currently offline Philipp KalbFriend
Hello

At the moment we try to evaluate TENEO. After having some problems to run the examples from the git repository, we could get a small example working. It is a little bit difficult to get all libraries for Eclipse 3.7..

Our main question for Teneo is "can we use TENEO with UML2 models?" Is it possible to create the ORM mappings for UML2 models or do we have to convert everything into an ecore representation before storing it with TENEO?
From some posts concerning CDO and UML2 we learned that it can be very hard to use the UML2 metamodel, so our expectation is that it would cause us a lot of problems.
Can somebody help us to clarify this or does someone have experience with UML2 models for Teneo?

Thanks a lot!
best regards
Philipp

Re: [TENEO] UML2 experience [message #780980 is a reply to message #780512] Wed, 18 January 2012 13:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Martin Taal is currently offline Martin TaalFriend
Hi Philipp,
Teneo only works with ecore, but maybe there are tools to automatically convert uml2 to ecore? Then it would not be a
problem afaics.

Btw, let me know what issues you encounter when trying the examples project, or other issues you had with eclipse 3.7?

gr. Martin

On 01/18/2012 12:53 PM, Philipp Mising name wrote:
> Hello
>
> At the moment we try to evaluate TENEO. After having some problems to run the examples from the git repository, we could
> get a small example working. It is a little bit difficult to get all libraries for Eclipse 3.7..
>
> Our main question for Teneo is "can we use TENEO with UML2 models?" Is it possible to create the ORM mappings for UML2
> models or do we have to convert everything into an ecore representation before storing it with TENEO?
> From some posts concerning CDO and UML2 we learned that it can be very hard to use the UML2 metamodel, so our
> expectation is that it would cause us a lot of problems. Can somebody help us to clarify this or does someone have
> experience with UML2 models for Teneo?
>
> Thanks a lot!
> best regards Philipp
>
>

--

With Regards, Martin Taal

Springsite/Elver.org
Office: Hardwareweg 4, 3821 BV Amersfoort
Postal: Nassaulaan 7, 3941 EC Doorn
The Netherlands
Cell: +31 (0)6 288 48 943
Tel: +31 (0)84 420 2397
Fax: +31 (0)84 225 9307
Mail: mtaal@springsite.com - mtaal@elver.org
Web: www.springsite.com - www.elver.org
Re: [TENEO] UML2 experience [message #781065 is a reply to message #780980] Fri, 20 January 2012 10:12 Go to previous message
Philipp Kalb is currently offline Philipp KalbFriend
Hi Martin,

Thanks a lot for your answer. I thought too that most of the problems can be solved via code generation but as far as I know, there is no "holistic" code generation for UML2 models with EMF. The code generation only works for most of the class diagram elements but, for example, not for state machines etc.. If I had only class diagram elements, I would choose Ecore anyway. The genmodel seems to forget everything about non-class diagram elements and the conversion back to UML2 is a little bit weird (hopefully I do not insult anyone with this statement, I really like EMF a lot )

At the moment we are thinking of creating our own code generator and adapt Teneo (or CDO) a little bit. But this "little bit" could be a lot of work... If someone has some ideas on how to do that, you are always welcome Smile

The teneo examples:
The problems with the examples come from a lack of libraries or in more detail a lack of description of "which" library one must place "where". We installed everything from the 2 update sides of the tutorial but a lot of EclipseLink jars were missing (or maybe just not linked correctly). After downloading the original EclipseLink, extracting it to the respective project and adding it to the class path, everything worked Smile. Perhaps its only a matter of the components versions, but some java classes had to be renamed (hard to say which ones since we played a lot with the example so its hard to reproduce everything, sorry Sad ). Some description of the database used by the tutorials would be nice too (link to a "how to set up derby or something like that).
the turial we used:
wiki.eclipse.org/Teneo/EclipseLink (i did not post more than 5 message so no direct link, sorry)

best regards
Philipp

[Updated on: Fri, 20 January 2012 12:42]

Report message to a moderator

Previous Topic:Some thoughts on EMF intrefaces
Next Topic:Get all occurrencies of Object-Typ for Combo
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 00:18:03 GMT 2024