Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Language IDEs » C / C++ IDE (CDT) » Compile first time ok, after that won't build/run
Compile first time ok, after that won't build/run [message #778397] Thu, 12 January 2012 18:35 Go to next message
Gordon Moore is currently offline Gordon MooreFriend
Okay, this is not the first time this issue has been raised over the years, but I've not seen a proper fix/explanation and has this issue caused me great embarrassment when teaching C on Monday I was proper upset Sad

Windows 7, installed minGW, sorted out the path statement (and why MinGW doesn't do this is rather annoying too, it is 2012 folks, not 1987! - but I guess not Eclipse fault)

Downloaded and unzipped Eclipse CDT.

Ran Eclipse, create supplied Hello World. Built it, then Run configuration, and run - yay.

made a change, run it, error.

After investigations and possible work arounds such as changing compatibility mode which seemed to work, but then one of my students emailed to say it wasn't, I have now discovered that what is happening is that the Test.exe is STILL running, even though it should have exited and the Eclipse console stop button isn't red.

I have to kill it from Task manager or use process Manager/Process Hacker.

My obvious question is why is this not a major issue for folks, since on the four laptops used by my students each one had the same issue as did I on two laptops.

Am I doing something wrong, or do folk just accept it or ...

Is it a minGW issue?

Also the console on Eclipse is complete and utter ...

Perhaps I should have tried something else.

Yeah, I'm a tad disappointed as I use Eclipse for teaching Java and (apart from the console there too) it's good.

Sorry I'm a bit negative, but its frustrating when you spend hours trying to get student laptops to work, rather than teaching them something and when they've paid good money.

Gordon

Re: Compile first time ok, after that won't build/run [message #780139 is a reply to message #778397] Tue, 17 January 2012 09:01 Go to previous message
Gordon Moore is currently offline Gordon MooreFriend
Something perhaps for others to look out for.

AVG 2011 (at least) considers an executable generated by Eclipse CDT to
be a virus. Had to add an exclusion for the workspace folder.
Previous Topic:Memory Search
Next Topic:Specifying Clean-only build specifications
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Apr 23 11:33:07 GMT 2024