Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Eclipse Platform » Shared Workspace
Shared Workspace [message #778265] Thu, 12 January 2012 03:08 Go to next message
Biff Bird is currently offline Biff BirdFriend
I'm looking for a way to allow multiple users to work on a single project, possibly simultaneously. Is this possible?

Basically, I have one code tree that remains synced between multiple machines and I would like to allow multiple users to either have a workspace in that location, or have that code tree in their own workspace (not copied, just have their own workspace that can edit the code from that location).
Re: Shared Workspace [message #778698 is a reply to message #778265] Fri, 13 January 2012 16:46 Go to previous message
Paul Webster is currently offline Paul WebsterFriend

Eclipse workspaces themselves are designed not to be shared. They go through an SCM (source control).

But some possible options:

1) each user uses their own workspace, but points their projects or links folders in their projects to the common location. Then they activate the FileSystem refresh preference from Preferences>General>Workspace. There can still be some collision, though, as a refresh picks up another change while a user is adding his own change to a file.

2) some combination of #1 with a remote EFS implementation or RSE from Target Management. I'm not sure how RSE deals with changes from one machine to the common location, it might be last to write on a collision wins.

Really, though, running it through an SCM like git could save you a lot of hassles if you continually get editing collisions.

PW

Previous Topic:Eclipse 3.6: org.eclipse.ui.commands.IElementUpdater - How to update before beeing executed?
Next Topic:Action links in a console
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Apr 23 13:50:36 GMT 2024