Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Newcomers » Newcomers » SWT or RCP?
SWT or RCP? [message #777538] Tue, 10 January 2012 16:42
Kai Ponte is currently offline Kai PonteFriend
I'm restarting a dormant project just because I want to get it done and because I still can't find a client I like.

The project will run on a standard PC, with no plans for a mobile app. It will require a client to run with user interaction and have a GUI.

I started initially using Eclipse back in '05 but gave up in favor of NetBeans because of a lack of a suitable working GUI builder for Eclipse. I got pretty far but then things got busy, so I stopped and focused on other things back in '07.

In resurrecting the project now, I see NetBeans and SWING have all but disappeared and Eclipse (which I've been using also for Android development) has taken over.

Now for the $64,000 question - do I use a SWT or a RCP type of development? I've tried to search and compare, but have had no luck. I tried the RCP tutorial over at Lars Vogel's website (www.vogella.de/articles/EclipseRCP/article.html) and got a basic form running. However, I found it a bit challenging to size widgets.

What would a person staring on a project use? Thanks in advance. Here's a recent screen of the shell as I've been designing in standard SWT (on Windows 7). At some point I want this to run in Linux and Mac OS as well.

index.php/fa/6701/0/

Previous Topic:Unable to launch Tomcat7 manager URL from eclipse indigo server
Next Topic:crash on git commit
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 10:54:53 GMT 2024