Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Virgo » Questions regarding Regions/Subsystems, p2/OBR
Questions regarding Regions/Subsystems, p2/OBR [message #776088] Sat, 07 January 2012 12:13 Go to next message
Frieder Heugel is currently offline Frieder HeugelFriend
Hi guys

I have some questions regarding the upcoming OSGi Enterprise specification. The new specs will provide subsystems while Virgo has regions. Is the region concept compatible with subsystems or will there be some changes to Virgo regarding this in the future? IIRC multiple regions support has been scheduled for Virgo 3.5 but I guess it has been postponed until the new OSGi spec is finalized, right?

The other question I have is about Virgos provisioning repository. The new spec also has this part about standardizing the OSGi Bundle Repository (OBR). And last but not least there is p2 available now. How will all these work together in Virgo in the future (especially with taking into account the aforementioned subsystems/regions)?

Thx
Frieder

[Updated on: Sat, 07 January 2012 12:14]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Questions regarding Regions/Subsystems, p2/OBR [message #776781 is a reply to message #776088] Mon, 09 January 2012 09:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Glyn Normington is currently offline Glyn NormingtonFriend
Frieder Heugel wrote on Sat, 07 January 2012 12:13
Hi guys

I have some questions regarding the upcoming OSGi Enterprise specification. The new specs will provide subsystems while Virgo has regions. Is the region concept compatible with subsystems or will there be some changes to Virgo regarding this in the future? IIRC multiple regions support has been scheduled for Virgo 3.5 but I guess it has been postponed until the new OSGi spec is finalized, right?

The region concept, which we moved from Virgo to Equinox, is compatible with subsystems in the sense that the Reference Implementation of subsystems is being built (at Apache.org) on top of the Equinox regions implementation and also the subsystems spec is being framed in terms of regions. But regions will not be an OSGi standard API.

As far as Virgo and subsystems are concerned, this is covered by the work hanging off bug 358437 which is targetting Virgo 4.0. We have started work on some of the fundamental changes in Virgo that are needed to support subsystems and some of these will ship in 3.5. For instance, the tree data structure of install artefacts has been replaced by a directed acyclic graph in the 3.5 line, although there is currently still a constraint that the DAG is in fact a tree.

Apart from wanting the subsystems spec to be final before shipping an implementation, there is a lot of work to implement subsystems in Virgo and it wouldn't fit in the 3.5 schedule.

Quote:
The other question I have is about Virgos provisioning repository. The new spec also has this part about standardizing the OSGi Bundle Repository (OBR). And last but not least there is p2 available now. How will all these work together in Virgo in the future (especially with taking into account the aforementioned subsystems/regions)?

Thx
Frieder

Virgo will focus on its provisioning repository and p2 support. There are currently no plans for Virgo to implement the OBR spec. I have been careful, in the OSGi Enterprise Expert Group, to ensure that the subsystems spec does not pre-req an implementation of the OBR spec.

I think Virgo could implement the OBR spec in future, but I haven't heard any users asking for it (until now?). Please feel free to raise such an enhancement bugzilla if you feel strongly (and send us a patch if you like Wink ).
Re: Questions regarding Regions/Subsystems, p2/OBR [message #777566 is a reply to message #776781] Tue, 10 January 2012 18:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Frieder Heugel is currently offline Frieder HeugelFriend
Hi Glyn

Thank you very much for the information. I don't have a use case for OBR right now, just wanted to know what the plans for Virgo are. It's hard to keep up with all the development that's happening in OSGi lately Wink

Thx
Frieder
Re: Questions regarding Regions/Subsystems, p2/OBR [message #778010 is a reply to message #777566] Wed, 11 January 2012 09:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Glyn Normington is currently offline Glyn NormingtonFriend
You're welcome.
Re: Questions regarding Regions/Subsystems, p2/OBR [message #778249 is a reply to message #776781] Wed, 11 January 2012 22:41 Go to previous message
Rafal Krzewski is currently offline Rafal KrzewskiFriend
From my short experience with OSGi development, Bndtools (bndtools.org) is by far the easiest and most powerful Eclipse OSGi tool set. It is based on BND and BND supports OBR natively and does not support P2 at all. While it can use Maven repository for compile time dependencies (when used together with Apache Felix maven-bundle-plugin and m2e) it needs OBR to resolve runtime dependencies for launching bundles in an OSGi framework straight from Eclipse workspace and for running integration tests (JUnit tests running in an OSGi framework). It would be neat to be able the same repositories for both ad-hoc runs and actual deployment.

There's a possibility of crossing the OBR/P2 chasm using Maven and Nexus.

Sonatype has recently open-sourced their P2 and OBR Nexus plugins, thus making them available to Nexus OSS edition users.

OBR Nexus can provide virtual OBR repository on top of a Maven 2 repository. It generates an OBR catalog file and updates in dynamically whenever you deploy an artifact into it. Same goes for P2 - the corresponding plugin can generate P2 artifacts.xml/content.xml dynamically.

Therefore, one can generate bundles using maven-bundle-plugin, deploy them to Nexus and use the generated P2 and OBR metadata where needed.

Unfortunately, Nexus plugins don't support neither OBR -> P2 nor P2 <- OBR virtual repositories, which would be great - one could use SpringSource EBR with P2 enabled applications, or Eclipse Orbit with OBR enabled applications. Hopefully such metadata conversion functionality will be added in the future.

Regards,
Rafał
Previous Topic:How to develop Spring Session Scope Beans
Next Topic:What bundles Should I use to work with Hibernate and Virgo?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 14:42:48 GMT 2024