Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Language IDEs » Java Development Tools (JDT) » Why doesn't the ADT show me the javadoc for a class in android.jar when I have the javadoc path set
Why doesn't the ADT show me the javadoc for a class in android.jar when I have the javadoc path set [message #773562] Mon, 02 January 2012 01:15 Go to next message
David M. Karr is currently offline David M. KarrFriend
My test case is Android with the ADT, but I think my problem is Eclipse-specific. I believe I've posted about this in the past, but I thought it had been resolved.

I find it's very inconsistent whether I can get Eclipse to show me the Javadoc for an Android class or method, even when I appear to have valid javadoc attached to the "android.jar" file.

For instance, right now I'm viewing a class in a sample application that references SQLiteDatabase. There are no compile errors, so I have all of my dependencies properly set. I hover on the class name reference and force the javadoc to display, it prints the class name as "android.database.sqlite.SQLiteDatabase", but it says "Note: This element has no attached source and the Javadoc could not be found in the attached Javadoc.".

I then went into the Project Explorer and expanded the "Android 2.3.3" library, exposing the "android.jar" file. I right-clicked on that and selected Properties. I clicked on "Javadoc Location". It's currently set to "Javadoc URL" and the "Javadoc location path" was set to the path to the "reference" directory in the android SDK. I clicked "Validate" and it said "Location is likely valid".

Just in case, I verified that "android/database/sqlite/SQLiteDatabase.html" exists at the root of the javadoc tree.

So why is it not showing the javadoc for this class?
Re: Why doesn't the ADT show me the javadoc for a class in android.jar when I have the javadoc path [message #773761 is a reply to message #773562] Mon, 02 January 2012 13:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Satyam Kandula is currently offline Satyam KandulaFriend
I am not able to reproduce this problem. Do you get this problem for SQLiteDatabase? Does it work for other classes? Is there any error logged in <workspace>/.metadata/.log?
Re: Why doesn't the ADT show me the javadoc for a class in android.jar when I have the javadoc path [message #773834 is a reply to message #773761] Mon, 02 January 2012 17:05 Go to previous message
David M. Karr is currently offline David M. KarrFriend
I can't get javadoc to display for any class, while I'm viewing the Java file from the Android project. In fact, I now find that the "f2" key, which is clearly bound to "Show Tooltip Description" when "Editing Text" with Category "Text Editing" seems to do nothing while viewing the Android Java file.

I then tried creating a plain Java project. I also showed the Javadoc view. When I clicked on a reference to "String" in the plain Java file, it showed me the javadoc for the String class in the Javadoc view. When I clicked on a reference to "String" in the Android Java file, it gave me the "Note: This element ..." thing in the Javadoc view.

When I'm viewing the Android Java file, it displays just like a plain Java file. It uses the same "J" icon that the plain Java file uses.

I compared the ".project" files, and both have the "javanature" and the "javabuilder".

I then tried some other experiments.

In the "Libraries" tab of the Build Path for the Android project, I noted that it only listed the "Android 2.3.3" library, and nothing else. I tried adding a "JRE System Library" and then looking at the javadoc again. Now it's showing proper javadoc for all classes.

I then created a new Android project and a simple class in that project. Without making any other changes, I saw that it was able to display javadoc.

At about this point, I got a "not enough handles" fatal error and had to restart Eclipse.

I then went into another Android Java project that was created the same way the first one was (a checkout from a remote SVN repo), and I saw that javadoc displays were working fine, including the "f2" keypress.

I now can't repeat the javadoc problem.

While all of this was happening, I inspected the error log, and there wasn't anything there that was related to any of this.
Previous Topic:Probleme to use a plug-in
Next Topic:Plugin to generate executable file?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 18 00:11:20 GMT 2024