Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Archived » EGL Development Tools » Possible Suggestions for Tools
Possible Suggestions for Tools [message #764628] Mon, 12 December 2011 15:00 Go to next message
Joe Pluta is currently offline Joe PlutaFriend
I'd like to throw out a couple of ideas for tooling enhancements and see what the community thinks. When I get a chance, I'll RFE them.

First, does anybody see the need for a stack trace capability? With the Infobus and nested widgets, sometimes it just gets difficult to figure out who triggered what. I'd love to be able to walk up the chain and see what happened and in JavaScript that's just not very easy.

Second, how about some conditional generation? I'd love to be able to flip a generation-time switch and add or remove code (especially logging). A simple IF_DEFINED would be enough for me, but I'd love to hear what others think.

Joe
Re: Possible Suggestions for Tools [message #764680 is a reply to message #764628] Mon, 12 December 2011 16:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dan Darnell is currently offline Dan DarnellFriend

I would benefit greatly from both of the items you mention.

Today I use a property (in a properties library) to condition logging code but that is very sub-optimal since unnecessary conditional logic ends up in the production application.

A stack trace in JS would be great. The lack of a stack trace equivalent is one of the things I don't like about JS. Makes problem determination and resolution a bear.

--Dan
Re: Possible Suggestions for Tools [message #764685 is a reply to message #764680] Mon, 12 December 2011 17:04 Go to previous message
Joe Pluta is currently offline Joe PlutaFriend
Agreed. I just spent several days tracking down a timing issue and only did it by basically putting my own logging on every function and my own JS stack trace. Both are very clunky and the stack in particular is fragile, and both will have to be removed for deployment. And since I don't want to lose the code, what I do is go in and comment out every line. Not bad for a couple of modules. Not fun for a large number.

I am tempted (TEMPTED, mind you) to write a tool that will spin through code and selectively comment or uncomment code (probably based on the previous line of code having a specially formatted comment).

But conditional code perhaps based on definitions set in the deployment descriptor (and alternately triggered by source-code annotations) would be most awesome.
Previous Topic:Fun project for EDT...Life
Next Topic:Discrepancy in the tutorial??
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 18 17:30:34 GMT 2024