Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Modeling » EMF » What is Resource and Resource set in EMF?(Basic introduction about this.)
What is Resource and Resource set in EMF? [message #763781] Sat, 10 December 2011 15:02 Go to next message
vinaybedre is currently offline vinaybedreFriend
Hi,

When running though the code for EMF, Edit, Editor n all. I come across something called as Resource, ResourceSet by using which we can do save.

Can anyone explain basically what is Resource and Resource set?

Re: What is Resource and Resource set in EMF? [message #763785 is a reply to message #763781] Sat, 10 December 2011 15:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Eike Stepper is currently offline Eike StepperFriend
Am 10.12.2011 16:02, schrieb vinaybedre:
> Hi,
>
> When running though the code for EMF, Edit, Editor n all. I come across something called as Resource, ResourceSet by
> using which we can do save.
>
> Can anyone explain basically what is Resource and Resource set?
Read the Javadocs and come back with more specific questions.

Cheers
/Eike

----
http://www.esc-net.de
http://thegordian.blogspot.com
http://twitter.com/eikestepper

Re: What is Resource and Resource set in EMF? [message #763789 is a reply to message #763785] Sat, 10 December 2011 15:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi Eike,
Thanks for your reply.

I went through the Javadoc. I got only the documentation for Interface, which doesnt give me any information on why is it needed? Can you please give me a little introduction about this or post some links where I can get my answers?
Re: What is Resource and Resource set in EMF? [message #763794 is a reply to message #763781] Sat, 10 December 2011 15:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Eclipse UserFriend
I do believe it is a legitimate question from a newcomer, and javadoc is not exactly instrumental when one tries to discover the big picture.

With a quick search I have found this article:
http://www.devx.com/java/Article/29093/1954

While it is about a more advanced topic (dynamic capabilities of EMF), the section "Serializing and Deserializing Data" does give you a short introduction to resources and resourcesets.

There is some discussion about Resource, ResourceFactory, ResourceSet, Factoryregistry, and transactions in this thread. (Where I still hope to get a bit more insight from someone not as dummy as me.)
Re: What is Resource and Resource set in EMF? [message #763804 is a reply to message #763794] Sat, 10 December 2011 16:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks mag,

I got the exact picture. Smile
Re: What is Resource and Resource set in EMF? [message #763812 is a reply to message #763794] Sat, 10 December 2011 16:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ed Willink is currently offline Ed WillinkFriend
Hi

The real EMF documentation is in the EMF book. Well worth a read,
even/especially when you've been using EMF for five years or more.

Regards

Ed Willink

On 10/12/2011 15:31, mag wrote:
> I do believe it is a legitimate question from a newcomer, and javadoc
> is not exactly instrumental when one tries to discover the big picture.
>
> With a quick search I have found this article:
> http://www.devx.com/java/Article/29093/1954
>
> While it is about a more advanced topic (dynamic capabilities of EMF),
> the section "Serializing and Deserializing Data" does give you a short
> introduction to resources and resourcesets.
>
> There is some discussion about Resource, ResourceFactory, ResourceSet,
> Factoryregistry, and transactions in
> http://www.eclipse.org/forums/index.php/t/264424/. (Where I still hope
> to get a bit more insight from someone not as dummy as me.)
Re: What is Resource and Resource set in EMF? [message #763846 is a reply to message #763812] Sat, 10 December 2011 18:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Eclipse UserFriend
I have found another book on the subject, freely downloadable.
http://www.redbooks.ibm.com/redbooks/pdfs/sg246302.pdf

But buying the EMF book is not just a matter of getting authoritative information right from the developers, but also a contribution and a hats off for this excellent package.
(I am using EMF since a few months. I am playing with Archi code only as a hobby, and don't plan to do more EMF development because I hate Java. But I will get this book for Christmas.)
Re: What is Resource and Resource set in EMF? [message #763848 is a reply to message #763794] Sat, 10 December 2011 18:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Eike Stepper is currently offline Eike StepperFriend
Am 10.12.2011 16:31, schrieb mag:
> I do believe it is a legitimate question from a newcomer,
I disagree. Newcomers are expected to read at least 10 of the dozens of introductory articles, how-tos, tutorials and
thelike. Only then they are supposed to make others do their chores. In ten years nobody has asked this kind of general
questions, not indicating what research has been done so far, what has been tried. Some people just misunderstand what
all this free stuff is meant to be, free support in particular. Many people are spending their spare time to help others
who have tried their best to resolve their problems, but failed. Most of these people are not very happy seeing lazy
folks stealing their valuable time, time that could be better spent enhancing the free technologies here or helping
others with more specific problems. Of course asking one sentence questions is much cheaper then doing a couple of
Google searches. If that's repeated behaviour I consider it sabotage.

And don't forget that all the technologies here are open source. That means everybody is *expected* to contribute in
whatever way he/she can, including the enhancement of the shipped docs. Let's see if Vinay takes the pointers you've
provided him with and analyzes what he was missing in the shipped docs. Would you bet a patch will be contributed to add
the missing pieces?

Of course that's my personal opinion, it doesn't reflect the spirit of this newsgroup or Eclipse in general. Everybody
else is free to duplicate the effort that has already been invested into the numerous articles that exist in the web.

Cheers
/Eike

----
http://www.esc-net.de
http://thegordian.blogspot.com
http://twitter.com/eikestepper

Re: What is Resource and Resource set in EMF? [message #763893 is a reply to message #763848] Sat, 10 December 2011 20:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Eclipse UserFriend
Eike, most of your points are truly valid.
However I also found the learning curve of EMF and CDO rather steep. We are talking about a huge stack of tightly interrelated software. It is very hard (at least for me) to figure out things with searches. Mostly you end up with the javadoc, which is fine if you already see the big picture, but does not help much to get an overview. The tutorials linked from the wiki nicely tell you the how, but often vague on the why.
Maybe a sticky summarizing the etiquette, the learning resources, and inviting documentation contribution (with a link on "how to contribute documentation") would be beneficial, noticing that even we dummies can contribute useful information for other dummies.

For example if I make a diagram on resources, resourcesets, et al, how and where should I contribute it? Should I make a wiki page, include a reference on it on the relevant javadocs, contributed in a patch through bugzilla?
Re: What is Resource and Resource set in EMF? [message #763898 is a reply to message #763893] Sat, 10 December 2011 21:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ed Willink is currently offline Ed WillinkFriend
Hi

It is certainly not easy for novices to contribute usefully. But there
are perhaps two ways:

As a novice, you have an important perspective that is different to
experienced users, so you can assist by providing reading guides,
perhaps with very short comments on the good/bad features of some
references. Perhaps a Wiki so that others can elaborate.

For documentation that you do find you may make constructive criticisms
via Bugzilla.

For some projects the Javadoc is close to comment-free, EMF is much
better, but Javadocs will always tend to have a very narrow focus. Good
editorial material requires significant independent effort. Don't waste
everyone's time complaining about Javadocs, unless of course there are
clear inaccuracies for which you should raise a Bugzilla.

Regards

Ed Willink

On 10/12/2011 20:52, mag wrote:
> Eike, most of your points are truly valid.
> However I also found the learning curve of EMF and CDO rather steep.
> We are talking about a huge stack of tightly interrelated software. It
> is very hard (at least for me) to figure out things with searches.
> Mostly you end up with the javadoc, which is fine if you already see
> the big picture, but does not help much to get an overview. The
> tutorials linked from the wiki nicely tell you the how, but often
> vague on the why.
> Maybe a sticky summarizing the etiquette, the learning resources, and
> inviting documentation contribution (with a link on "how to contribute
> documentation") would be beneficial, noticing that even we dummies can
> contribute useful information for other dummies.
>
> For example if I make a diagram on resources, resourcesets, et al, how
> and where should I contribute it? Should I make a wiki page, include a
> reference on it on the relevant javadocs, contributed in a patch
> through bugzilla?
>
Re: What is Resource and Resource set in EMF? [message #764051 is a reply to message #763898] Sun, 11 December 2011 07:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Eclipse UserFriend
Here is a diagram on what I understand about the persistence related functionality.
Would you check it for errors, omissions, and understandability before I place it on the wiki?
index.php/fa/6421/0/
Re: What is Resource and Resource set in EMF? [message #764497 is a reply to message #764051] Mon, 12 December 2011 09:52 Go to previous message
Ed Merks is currently offline Ed MerksFriend
Mag,

That looks cool! Some suggestions...

A resource set has both a package registry and a resource factory
registry so maybe referring to Registry is a bit ambiguous. It's
probably good to show the resource <-> model instance as a containment
like resource set <-> resource (i.e., as in
http://download.eclipse.org/modeling/emf/emf/javadoc/2.7.0/org/eclipse/emf/ecore/resource/package-summary.html#package_description).

As for the original question that started this thread, my sense is the
almost no effort was made to determine the answer from all the
information that's available. It's always frustrating when you get the
sense that people expect free helpers to invest more effort than they've
invested themselves. Of course people like yourself help keep us
motivated...

On 11/12/2011 8:51 AM, mag wrote:
> Here is a diagram on what I understand about the persistence related functionality.
> Would you check it for errors, omissions, and understandability before I place it on the wiki?
>

Ed Merks
Professional Support: https://www.macromodeling.com/
Previous Topic:[CDO] Composite Model in CDO
Next Topic:EMF Model Editor - Customized Copy/Paste Action
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 13:56:12 GMT 2024