Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Newcomers » Newcomers » short cut key to navigate to the starting of the loop or an if-else condition.(short cut key to navigate to the starting of the loop or an if-else condition.)
short cut key to navigate to the starting of the loop or an if-else condition. [message #763775] Sat, 10 December 2011 14:51 Go to next message
liharlihar is currently offline liharliharFriend
Hi guys,

I have been using eclipse since 2 years , programming with java on windows xp.
I am not trying to report any bug.
I have a requirement. it is as follows.

I am in the middle of a big java file, inside a method. (say on some line number 1145).
I want to know whether this line of code is

1)inside a for-loop or while-loop
or
2) inside a if-else condition

without actually navigating to the top of the code where this loop starts, using the mouse scroll button,
i just want to navigate to the top of the for-loop or while-loop
using a shortcut key.

just like the shortcut key control+shift+up_arrow or control+shift+down_arrow keys, move to the next/previous methods, i want a short cut key to navigate to the starting of the loop or an if-else condition.

Please let me know, if this feature is available.

Hope i have posted my question clearly. If not, please feel free to write back, i will try to be more clear.

Thank you everybody

Look forward for your support.
Re: short cut key to navigate to the starting of the loop or an if-else condition. [message #764411 is a reply to message #763775] Mon, 12 December 2011 05:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
liharlihar is currently offline liharliharFriend
guys

Please somebody respond

If i have posted in the wrong forum, somebody please guide me to another forum/move this topic to the concerned.

thanks in anticipation.

[Updated on: Mon, 12 December 2011 05:47]

Report message to a moderator

Re: short cut key to navigate to the starting of the loop or an if-else condition. [message #773241 is a reply to message #764411] Sun, 01 January 2012 00:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dowonderatwill lastname is currently offline dowonderatwill lastnameFriend
Ctl+Shift+P will help you.
Re: short cut key to navigate to the starting of the loop or an if-else condition. [message #774812 is a reply to message #773241] Wed, 04 January 2012 17:13 Go to previous message
David M. Karr is currently offline David M. KarrFriend
People often change key bindings, so it's best to also indicate what function you're recommending they use.

In my Eclipse, Ctrl-Shift-P is bound to "go-to-matching-bracket". Assuming that's what you intended, that's not quite what he's looking for.

I'm not aware of any way to do this with stock Eclipse. However, this is one of the numerous additional functions provided by the Emacs+ plugin. The "backward-up-list" function is defined to "Move backward out of one level of bracketed expressions", so it's more general than "if" or "loop".

It's not necessary to be an Emacs user to get value out of Emacs+.
Previous Topic:No Plugin Project
Next Topic:Error: could not find Java SE Runtime Environment
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 15:26:27 GMT 2024