Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Newcomers » Newcomers » Eclipse hangs when doing copy/paste
Eclipse hangs when doing copy/paste [message #763651] Sat, 10 December 2011 07:53 Go to next message
Peter Steele is currently offline Peter SteeleFriend
I am running Eclipse Helios under Windows 7 and I am experiencing frequent periodic hangs. It seems to happen most of the time just after I select text and issue a "copy" command. This very often results in a 2-10 second hang where the UI is completely frozen. It eventually wakes up and continues as if nothing had happened. No errors are reported in the error log.

Every so often the hang is much longer, and Windows will flag the Eclipse window as "Not responding". This state can last for a minute or more, and again it eventually resumes without any kind of error.

What might be causing this problem?
Re: Eclipse hangs when doing copy/paste [message #763665 is a reply to message #763651] Sat, 10 December 2011 08:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michael Pellaton is currently offline Michael PellatonFriend
Hi

We have observed similar - unreproducible - problems when pasting
(copying was always fast) and we even once had VisualVM attached to
Eclipse during such a blockage. Result: Eclipse does not produce
any load, I/O, GC or so during these annoying breaks.

As this happened only on the Vista installations of one particular
customer, we assumed that something external like the virus scanner,
some Windows or CheckPoint Device Control security feature or so
delays clipboard operations.

For unknown reasons, the problem seems to have stopped some time ago.
A new Eclipse version was not installed, but who knows what the
various Windows, Virus Scanner, ... updates constantly installed in
these enterprise managed Windows environments really do?

Cheers
Michael
Re: Eclipse hangs when doing copy/paste [message #763771 is a reply to message #763665] Sat, 10 December 2011 14:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I have a colleague who has observed the same hang behavior in her Eclipse environment. In her case, she's using XP, but her Eclipse is configured pretty much identical to mine. Neither of us experience these hangs in any other text editor on our systems. I think I may try disabling some Eclipse plug-ins to try to track down the cause. Clearly something within Eclipse is interacting badly with something in the OS.
Re: Eclipse hangs when doing copy/paste [message #763772 is a reply to message #763771] Sat, 10 December 2011 14:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RJ Benigra is currently offline RJ BenigraFriend
Thanks for this useful tips and guides for new member like me.

Regards,
RJ
Re: Eclipse hangs when doing copy/paste [message #764055 is a reply to message #763771] Sun, 11 December 2011 07:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michael Pellaton is currently offline Michael PellatonFriend
We even observed the issue with a plain vanilla Eclipse SDK. And by
the way, it did not happen all the times. There were good days and
bad days. And to make things even more complicated, the problem did
not even surface on all team members machines.

As we have an inhouse distribution of Eclipse and all developers are
using it, I am not certain that this is a systematic bug in Eclipse.
But we have not tracked it down because one day the problems went away
and I could therefore be wrong about that.

Michael
Re: Eclipse hangs when doing copy/paste [message #764642 is a reply to message #764055] Mon, 12 December 2011 15:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
We've discovered that the problem appears to be less severe if the Windows 7 "Power" service is turned off. Unfortunately, turning this service all also disables all audio, so that's not exactly an ideal solution. Plus, turning off/on requires a system reboot.

One thing that puzzles me is that I have not observed these hangs with any other text editor accessing the same files.
Re: Eclipse hangs when doing copy/paste [message #764934 is a reply to message #764642] Tue, 13 December 2011 05:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nitin Dahyabhai is currently offline Nitin DahyabhaiFriend

It makes a great deal of difference *which* editor in Eclipse (Java? JavaScript? XML? CSS?) you're using when you see this slowdown. Depending on the editor, more than just text may be placed on the clipboard, and calculating that may take some resources.

_
Nitin Dahyabhai
Eclipse Web Tools Platform
Re: Eclipse hangs when doing copy/paste [message #765716 is a reply to message #764934] Wed, 14 December 2011 15:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yes, the type of editor would make a difference, I agree. In this case I'm referring to the main Java editor. I tried some quick tests with the plain text editor in Eclipse and I didn't notice any particular slowdowns. Of course, the big advantage of an IDE is all of the language specific tools provided as you code, so I don't really want to program Java in the plain text editor.

I think my next test will be to migrate to Linux and see how Eclipses performs in that environment.

[Updated on: Wed, 14 December 2011 15:11]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Eclipse hangs when doing copy/paste [message #766072 is a reply to message #765716] Thu, 15 December 2011 07:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michael Ruttka is currently offline Michael RuttkaFriend
In my company we got the same problem with the copy and paste actions. We use mainly the Java Editor. We experienced smaller hangs since Eclipse Ganymede, but with the current Indigo version the hangs got unbearable.
I started Eclipse with a java console - always when eclipse hanged, the stacktrace shown, that eclipse opened some jar-files. So i removed all referenced libraries and the hangs disappeared, but this is no solution Wink.

We also got hangs, when we dived through the code (Ctrl + click on a class name).
Btw.: In our case, every developer experiences these hangs!

EDIT: We use Windows 7 and Vista

[Updated on: Thu, 15 December 2011 07:43]

Re: Eclipse hangs when doing copy/paste [message #775025 is a reply to message #766072] Thu, 05 January 2012 06:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michael Ruttka is currently offline Michael RuttkaFriend
We discovered that the hangs just appear in one project, the other projects in the same workspace wont cause hangs. The only differentiating factors are, that this projekt contains more referenced libraries and it contais graphical classes (swing).

Any progress on the Linux migration?
Re: Eclipse hangs when doing copy/paste [message #775503 is a reply to message #775025] Fri, 06 January 2012 05:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nick Clevery is currently offline Nick CleveryFriend
Sometimes I got hangs in Eclipse Java IDE also, I just could wait for some minutes and Eclipse wakes up! It does not happen all the times.
Re: Eclipse hangs when doing copy/paste [message #831985 is a reply to message #763651] Thu, 29 March 2012 15:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Melvin Lopez is currently offline Melvin LopezFriend
I've experienced this problem since a few days, now its insoportable.
I'm using Eclipse Helios for php developers v.1.3, eclipse platform is 3.6.

It began taking 2 or 3 seconds to copy 10-15 lines, today I copied 30 lines and took hang for 3+ minutes, windows appears with "not responding" flag, after that just came back to normal.

An interesting note, this happend when did not used clipboard for a long time (10-20 minutes), with or without activity on eclipse.
Re: Eclipse hangs when doing copy/paste [message #871526 is a reply to message #763651] Mon, 14 May 2012 10:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Asaf Kinamoni is currently offline Asaf KinamoniFriend
Im experiencing the same problem. I have eclipse Indigo on Windows XP. Im also working with a lot of swing components. When doing Ctrl+C (copying), Ctrl+Space (autocompleting) or Ctrl+clicking an object (moving to class definition) eclipse hangs for a minute or so.

Its all very nice that we are sharing our problems and complaints here but is someone from the eclipse staff going to address this ? or is this like a AA support group ? its becoming impossible to work. I spend most of my time staring at the screen fogetting what i wanted to do.

Thanks.
Re: Eclipse hangs when doing copy/paste [message #871615 is a reply to message #871526] Mon, 14 May 2012 14:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Russell Bateman is currently offline Russell BatemanFriend

On 5/14/2012 4:30 AM, Asaf Kinamoni wrote:
> Im experiencing the same problem. I have eclipse Indigo on Windows XP.
> Im also working with a lot of swing components. When doing Ctrl+C
> (copying), Ctrl+Space (autocompleting) or Ctrl+clicking an object
> (moving to class definition) eclipse hangs for a minute or so.
> Its all very nice that we are sharing our problems and complaints here
> but is someone from the eclipse staff going to address this ? or is this
> like a AA support group ? its becoming impossible to work. I spend most
> of my time staring at the screen fogetting what i wanted to do.
>
> Thanks.

What Eclipse staff were you thinking of? Eclipse is free--developed by a
community of users. You can't expect the committers to shoulder
responsibility for your problems.

You haven't given enough information to diagnose much. Which editor
appears to hang? How long have you waited? Does this happen only on
source files consuming SWT? Have you tried describing this exact
behavior in the Eclipse SWT forum? Have you disabled one or more
validations that might be taking some time or consuming web resources
that are unreachable from your location?

Etc. You need to be more helpful if you want us to be helpful.
Re: Eclipse hangs when doing copy/paste [message #873773 is a reply to message #763651] Sat, 19 May 2012 03:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
kishore ma is currently offline kishore maFriend
My eclipse indigo hangs occasionally when trying to open java files
eventhough any server not running, no files already opened. IDE hangs for around 2 mins. No errors in log, not sure which causing the issue.

Eclipse Platform: 32bit Indigo
icon9.gif  Re: Eclipse hangs when doing copy/paste [message #891918 is a reply to message #763651] Tue, 26 June 2012 14:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Freddy Angel is currently offline Freddy AngelFriend
Same problem here!

I have the latest Helios 3.7.2 with PDT, everything up to date. Hangs take place almost every time I select a piece of code and copy it (CTRL+C), as others have already said, Windows 7 - in my case - label the window as "Not Responding" and after some time (5 seconds to 3 minutes) it came back to life as normal.

In an attempt to find a solution, I create a new clean workspace and import my projects again but the problem persist. The only additional plugins I have installed are Subeclipe (SVN) and Aptana Studio.

Any idea that could lead to a solution to this problem will be appreciated.

Thanks
Re: Eclipse hangs when doing copy/paste [message #898218 is a reply to message #891918] Thu, 26 July 2012 02:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quasi Modo is currently offline Quasi ModoFriend
Old post, but thought I would share in case anyone else stumbles on it.

I had this problem with a QNX incarnation of Eclipse called Momentics.
For me, disabling Hyperlinking fixed the delays. Yes it means I dont have hyperlinking but at least I can copy and paste.
Under Preferences->Editors->Text Editors->Hyperlinking.
For reference, this was for .h and .cpp files.

The issue is when you hit the Ctrl key it tries to resolve all of the known class names on the screen.

A similar issue occurs if you have auto-completion on. When editing C++ for example, I was experiencing similar delays when typing ".", "," or ":", basically whenever it looked up the "intellisense" database.
Re: Eclipse hangs when doing copy/paste [message #1081627 is a reply to message #898218] Wed, 07 August 2013 13:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
John Denley is currently offline John DenleyFriend
I was getting this on my old laptop, bought a new one, and it was fine for a while and now it has come back, its infuriating and its taking about 10 times longer to do any coding than normal.

About 1 second after I stop typing it hangs (actually it appears to be the Java SE that is the "problem" I just typed in "xxx" and then waited for a second, and in task manager the Java SE Binary creeped up to 76% CPU showed as "not responding" then back down to 0% at which point I was able to type again!!

I have recorded a quick video to demonstrate whats going on, my battery is about to die, so there is a warning about that at the end, but other wise you can see the pause that happens as I am trying to type "int i=0;" and then change that to "int i=15;" its really causing me pain!! LOL

screencast . com/t/xhDs3Wng

[Updated on: Wed, 07 August 2013 16:45]

Re: Eclipse hangs when doing copy/paste [message #1085871 is a reply to message #1081627] Tue, 13 August 2013 13:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yevgeny Shifrin is currently offline Yevgeny ShifrinFriend
Hi,

From our experience, this issue happens a lot because while performing "ctrl+..." you are pressing mouse left key. This means in Java/C++ and other editor to perform navigation to the selection. In some cases, especially in C++ it could get eclipse stuck while eclipse is trying to perform navigation. Could you please see if this issue is solved if you disable Window->Perefernces->General->Editors->Text Editors->Hyperlinking ?

In our case it solved the problem. And instead of using CTRL+mouse left button, we are using F3.

Thanks,
Yevgeny
Re: Eclipse hangs when doing copy/paste [message #1085874 is a reply to message #1085871] Tue, 13 August 2013 13:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yevgeny Shifrin is currently offline Yevgeny ShifrinFriend
Oops, just saw that Quasi Modo already suggested this solution Smile
Re: Eclipse hangs when doing copy/paste [message #1712320 is a reply to message #1081627] Thu, 22 October 2015 23:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
John Denley is currently offline John DenleyFriend
2 years on and I am getting this problem again and I cant remember how (if ever) I solved it..

I recorded a new video with sound this time.... explaining whats actually happening and how utterly infuriating this is!!

http://screencast dot com/t/GjEjLQspKe
Re: Eclipse hangs when doing copy/paste [message #1863515 is a reply to message #1712320] Wed, 07 February 2024 10:44 Go to previous message
Deepak Abraham is currently offline Deepak AbrahamFriend
I started getting this issue - Eclipse hangs on Copy for 5-10 seconds and also on paste (even other applications hang when pasting stuff from Eclipse) couple of weeks back after an Eclipse update. Eclipse:

Version: 2023-12 (4.30.0)
Build id: 20231201-2043

As @QasiModo suggested, disabling Hyperlinks worked (Now it's at Window -Preferences -> Editors -> Text Editors - Hyperlinking)) . I had to restart Eclipse and post that Copy past Worked fine

After restarting Eclipse I enabled almost all the hyperlinks except a few text editor ones and then restarted Eclipse. It still worked.
Enabled all the remaining ones and restarted, it worked with the hang time reduced to a second but still there being a slight hang.
Disabled ' Document Link Detector' and 'URL' for the Textual Editor types and restarted, then it worked fine. Didn' bother to find out which exact one is causing the issue..

Thank you @QasiModo

[Updated on: Wed, 07 February 2024 11:06]

Previous Topic:Eclipse keep crashing upon signing in Marketplace favorites tab
Next Topic:Having issue with getting parent properties
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 12:38:15 GMT 2024