Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Archived » Jubula » Central test data set vs external excel data
Central test data set vs external excel data [message #761750] Wed, 07 December 2011 01:31 Go to next message
Chris Missing name is currently offline Chris Missing nameFriend
The documentation warns against the use of an external excel sheet as the data set over the central data set. Could you elaborate on this recommendation? What are the risks of using Excel?
Re: Central test data set vs external excel data [message #761859 is a reply to message #761750] Wed, 07 December 2011 07:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Alexandra Schladebeck is currently offline Alexandra SchladebeckFriend
Hi,

the question was answered in this post. I'll add the note in the documentation as well.

Best regards,
Alex
Re: Central test data set vs external excel data [message #764276 is a reply to message #761750] Sun, 11 December 2011 20:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thank you for the reply. I feel I am misunderstanding how central data sets are designed. Is it possible to apply a Central Data Set to a testsuite rather than the test cases of each suite? There are many parameters such as timeouts that we would like a single point of maintenance for but I do not see how to accomplish that.
Re: Central test data set vs external excel data [message #764460 is a reply to message #764276] Mon, 12 December 2011 08:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Alexandra Schladebeck is currently offline Alexandra SchladebeckFriend
A central test data set can be applied anywhere where an Excel sheet or a normal data set would be used (i.e. on Test Cases, but not on Test Suites). If multiple Test Cases require the same data, then a central data set can be used to save a) entering the data redundantly for the Test Cases and b) using an Excel table wherein any missing data is not noticed until runtime.

Central definition of timeouts etc. is best done as a part of a module at the moment, as there is currently no real way of defining constants - e.g. you would make your own module from the "Wait for Window to Close" Test Case and set the timeout as a concrete value. You could use variables that are saved at the beginning of the Test Suite via Application Store Value, and reference the variable e.g. $TIMEOUT, but this means you have to remember to execute the store variable Test Case each time (even when you are executing parts of the test), otherwise data will be identified as missing at runtime.

HTH,
Alex
Re: Central test data set vs external excel data [message #764703 is a reply to message #764460] Mon, 12 December 2011 17:52 Go to previous message
Thank you for this clarification.
Previous Topic:Context menu problem
Next Topic:Question on running Tests against multiple AUT's
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Apr 24 23:54:23 GMT 2024