Skip to main content


Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Modeling » TMF (Xtext) » Where has the OnTheFlyCompiler gone?
Where has the OnTheFlyCompiler gone? [message #761406] Tue, 06 December 2011 12:38 Go to next message
Kai Kreuzer is currently offline Kai KreuzerFriend
Messages: 42
Registered: July 2009
Member
Hi,

Up to Xtext 2.1.1 I have used the OnTheFlyCompiler to compile my
expressions into Java byte code - In the 2.2 nightly build, this class
does not exist anymore :-( Has this feature been abandoned or has it
just been moved somewhere else and I am too stupid to find it?

Thanks,
Kai
Re: Where has the OnTheFlyCompiler gone? [message #761424 is a reply to message #761406] Tue, 06 December 2011 13:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Meinte Boersma is currently offline Meinte BoersmaFriend
Messages: 434
Registered: July 2009
Location: Leiden, Netherlands
Senior Member
I don't even see it in Xtext 2.1.1 - in which plugin should it live (so I can check against my zillion Xtext installations)?

Re: Where has the OnTheFlyCompiler gone? [message #761437 is a reply to message #761424] Tue, 06 December 2011 13:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kai Kreuzer is currently offline Kai KreuzerFriend
Messages: 42
Registered: July 2009
Member
Sorry, I should have mentioned that it was part of the Xbase plugin, see
http://git.eclipse.org/c/tmf/org.eclipse.xtext.git/tree/plugins/org.eclipse.xtext.xbase/src/org/eclipse/xtext/xbase/compiler/OnTheFlyJavaCompiler.java?h=2.1.x_Maintenance

On 12/6/2011 2:10 PM, Meinte Boersma wrote:
> I don't even see it in Xtext 2.1.1 - in which plugin should it live (so
> I can check against my zillion Xtext installations)?
Re: Where has the OnTheFlyCompiler gone? [message #761557 is a reply to message #761406] Tue, 06 December 2011 16:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sebastian Zarnekow is currently offline Sebastian ZarnekowFriend
Messages: 3108
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member
Hi Kai,

we had to move it to the test bundle since it introduced unwanted
dependencies.
So yes, the feature was removed from xbase core.

Regards,
Sebastian
--
Need professional support for Eclipse Modeling?
Go visit: http://xtext.itemis.com

Am 06.12.11 13:38, schrieb Kai Kreuzer:
> Hi,
>
> Up to Xtext 2.1.1 I have used the OnTheFlyCompiler to compile my
> expressions into Java byte code - In the 2.2 nightly build, this class
> does not exist anymore :-( Has this feature been abandoned or has it
> just been moved somewhere else and I am too stupid to find it?
>
> Thanks,
> Kai
Re: Where has the OnTheFlyCompiler gone? [message #761564 is a reply to message #761557] Tue, 06 December 2011 16:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ed Willink is currently offline Ed WillinkFriend
Messages: 7055
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member
Hi

Sounds like an interesting functionality. Is it possible to package it
in its own feature so that it can be ignored when the dependencies are
unacceptable but used when required. Seems like I might like to use it
for OCL 2 Java.

Regards

Ed Willink

On 06/12/2011 16:42, Sebastian Zarnekow wrote:
> Hi Kai,
>
> we had to move it to the test bundle since it introduced unwanted
> dependencies.
> So yes, the feature was removed from xbase core.
>
> Regards,
> Sebastian
Re: Where has the OnTheFlyCompiler gone? [message #761595 is a reply to message #761564] Tue, 06 December 2011 17:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kai Kreuzer is currently offline Kai KreuzerFriend
Messages: 42
Registered: July 2009
Member
It would have been nice if that had been mentioned on the bug
https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=354635, which I just
wanted to verify. Very sad to hear, that this feature is not supported
any longer - I quite liked the possibility to directly produce compiled
bytecode for performance reasons...

So I would agree with Ed: It would be nice if that feature could be
moved into a separate bundle to avoid any unwanted dependencies on the
xbase core bundle.

Cheers,
Kai

On 12/6/2011 5:59 PM, Ed Willink wrote:
> Hi
>
> Sounds like an interesting functionality. Is it possible to package it
> in its own feature so that it can be ignored when the dependencies are
> unacceptable but used when required. Seems like I might like to use it
> for OCL 2 Java.
>
> Regards
>
> Ed Willink
>
> On 06/12/2011 16:42, Sebastian Zarnekow wrote:
>> Hi Kai,
>>
>> we had to move it to the test bundle since it introduced unwanted
>> dependencies.
>> So yes, the feature was removed from xbase core.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Sebastian
>
Re: Where has the OnTheFlyCompiler gone? [message #761635 is a reply to message #761595] Tue, 06 December 2011 19:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sebastian Zarnekow is currently offline Sebastian ZarnekowFriend
Messages: 3108
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member
Hi Kai,

I'm sorry about that one. The ticket about the unwanted deps was another
one. Please file a feature request for the compiler. We may want to
reinstantiate it in the xbase.ui plugin which would allow the necessary
deps.

Regards,
Sebastian
--
Need professional support for Eclipse Modeling?
Go visit: http://xtext.itemis.com

Am 06.12.11 18:46, schrieb Kai Kreuzer:
> It would have been nice if that had been mentioned on the bug
> https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=354635, which I just
> wanted to verify. Very sad to hear, that this feature is not supported
> any longer - I quite liked the possibility to directly produce compiled
> bytecode for performance reasons...
>
> So I would agree with Ed: It would be nice if that feature could be
> moved into a separate bundle to avoid any unwanted dependencies on the
> xbase core bundle.
>
> Cheers,
> Kai
>
> On 12/6/2011 5:59 PM, Ed Willink wrote:
>> Hi
>>
>> Sounds like an interesting functionality. Is it possible to package it
>> in its own feature so that it can be ignored when the dependencies are
>> unacceptable but used when required. Seems like I might like to use it
>> for OCL 2 Java.
>>
>> Regards
>>
>> Ed Willink
>>
>> On 06/12/2011 16:42, Sebastian Zarnekow wrote:
>>> Hi Kai,
>>>
>>> we had to move it to the test bundle since it introduced unwanted
>>> dependencies.
>>> So yes, the feature was removed from xbase core.
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>> Sebastian
>>
>
Re: Where has the OnTheFlyCompiler gone? [message #761993 is a reply to message #761635] Wed, 07 December 2011 11:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kai Kreuzer is currently offline Kai KreuzerFriend
Messages: 42
Registered: July 2009
Member
> Please file a feature request for the compiler.

Done: https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=365870

> We may want to reinstantiate it in the xbase.ui plugin which would allow
> the necessary deps.

I do not think that that would be the right place for it - the feature
is mainly required on a runtime and for performance optimization; it is
therefore probably quite likely that the xbase.ui plugin is not even
present.
Re: Where has the OnTheFlyCompiler gone? [message #762004 is a reply to message #761993] Wed, 07 December 2011 12:15 Go to previous message
Ed Willink is currently offline Ed WillinkFriend
Messages: 7055
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member
Hi
> I do not think that that would be the right place for it - the feature
> is mainly required on a runtime and for performance optimization; it
> is therefore probably quite likely that the xbase.ui plugin is not
> even present.
Indeed. If I can use it for OCL 2 Java, I may not really want xbase at
all, certainly not xbase.ui.

Perhaps this could be a contribution to something more like emf.codegen.

Regards

Ed Willink
Previous Topic:creating an Extension Library (documentation?)
Next Topic:[eclipse] Problem upgrading to xtext 2.1.1
Goto Forum:
  


Current Time: Sat Mar 06 06:51:20 GMT 2021

Powered by FUDForum. Page generated in 0.02008 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.

Powered by: FUDforum 3.0.2.
Copyright ©2001-2010 FUDforum Bulletin Board Software

Back to the top