Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » EGit / JGit » gui nit in history view
gui nit in history view [message #760513] Fri, 02 December 2011 16:17 Go to next message
R Shapiro is currently offline R ShapiroFriend
If zero or more than one rows are selected in the upper panel of a history view, the lower panels both say "Please select exactly one commit". The intention I guess is to make clear that you won't see commit details unless exactly one row is selected. But what it looks like to a novice user is that you're not allowed to select more than one row, which is of course not true. In fact it's very handy to select multiple rows, for instance to compare or to open multiple commit windows.

This is not theoretical - I've done operations on multiple rows with other developers in the room and heard the comment "I didn't know you could do that".

Maybe that text can be re-worked a little? "Select a single commit to see its details" or something like that.

A nit I know, but there's enough to learn to egit already relative to older Team providers. Every nit adds more.

Re: gui nit in history view [message #760516 is a reply to message #760513] Fri, 02 December 2011 16:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Robin Rosenberg is currently offline Robin RosenbergFriend
R Shapiro skrev 2011-12-02 17.17:
> If zero or more than one rows are selected in the upper panel of a history view, the lower panels both say "Please select exactly one commit". The intention I guess is to
> make clear that you won't see commit details unless exactly one row is selected. But what it looks like to a novice user is that you're not allowed to select more than one
> row, which is of course not true. In fact it's very handy to select multiple rows, for instance to compare or to open multiple commit windows.
>
> This is not theoretical - I've done operations on multiple rows with other developers in the room and heard the comment "I didn't know you could do that".
>
> Maybe that text can be re-worked a little? "Select a single commit to see its details" or something like that.
>
> A nit I know, but there's enough to learn to egit already relative to older Team providers. Every nit adds more.

Let's call it "open for extension". I'd like to see a classic unified diff when two entries are selected.

-- robin
Re: gui nit in history view [message #760528 is a reply to message #760516] Fri, 02 December 2011 17:30 Go to previous message
R Shapiro is currently offline R ShapiroFriend
A unified diff display in the details area when two commits are selected would be very nice. That would make many people happy here...

But sometimes you might have three or more commits selected, for instance to open each its own view. Probably no details are useful in that case, so either the details view would be empty or it would have to say something to indicate what it's for.
Previous Topic:branch deletion disabled?
Next Topic:How to configure default merge strategy?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 01:42:26 GMT 2024