Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Rich Client Platform (RCP) » How to load a UI PlugIn by code without UI elements being already there
How to load a UI PlugIn by code without UI elements being already there [message #758929] Fri, 25 November 2011 10:39 Go to next message
Matthias Becker is currently offline Matthias BeckerFriend
Hi
i am just starting with RCP/OSGI and just ran into this Problem:

I have a main application that provides a log in dialog. Depending on the credentials of the user i want to provide different UIs. Example:
- Main Application
Provides the login dialog and calls the login handler of the different "base" plug ins
- AdministrationBase
Checks if the user has the necessary rights to use the Administration dialog. If so, loads the AdministrationUI
- AdministrationUI
Provides the UI for Administration

So far this works fine but when i start the Application all menu entries defined in the PlugIn.xml of the AdministrationUI are already there before the log in is performed. I set the start level to a value > 4 and autostart to false without success. It seems that eclipse already reads the plugin.xml. So how can i tell eclipse to load the xml only then when the AdministrationBase loads the corresponding UI?
Or do i have to do this by code? If so, how can i ensure that the advisor classes are correctly executed?

Thanks
Matthias
Re: How to load a UI PlugIn by code without UI elements being already there [message #759042 is a reply to message #758929] Fri, 25 November 2011 19:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Paul Webster is currently offline Paul WebsterFriend

You can use your login to set roles, an ISourceProvider to make that information available to the framework, and then use Activities/Capabilities and the enabledWhen element to hide the plugin.xml entries you don't want.

PW

Re: How to load a UI PlugIn by code without UI elements being already there [message #759223 is a reply to message #759042] Sun, 27 November 2011 19:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi
thanks for the reply.
OK, Is that even usable to the availability of whole perspectives/views? It seems not to but it also seems that it would violate a Eclipse paradigm...
Re: How to load a UI PlugIn by code without UI elements being already there [message #759356 is a reply to message #759223] Mon, 28 November 2011 13:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Paul Webster is currently offline Paul WebsterFriend

I'm not sure what you are asking here. Activities/Capabilities are part of the the workbench UI support, see http://help.eclipse.org/indigo/index.jsp?topic=%2Forg.eclipse.platform.doc.isv%2Fguide%2Fworkbench_scalability.htm

It's one way to hide views and actions from the user.

PW

Re: How to load a UI PlugIn by code without UI elements being already there [message #764220 is a reply to message #759356] Sun, 11 December 2011 17:38 Go to previous message
Hi
thanks for the replies. Your replies helped me to find a way how to accomplish what i want.
working with the Eclipse RCP framework is... complex Smile

Thanks!
Matthias
Previous Topic:Equinox P2 process fail in RCP Application
Next Topic:Extension Points: "Second instance" not available
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 18 02:10:16 GMT 2024