Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » EGit / JGit » Switching branches leaves folders that should be gone!
Switching branches leaves folders that should be gone! [message #758598] Wed, 23 November 2011 20:13 Go to next message
Cameron Missing name is currently offline Cameron Missing nameFriend
I am new to git so I may be missing some critical detail or step that I should perform.

1. Be in the local master branch but also have a local branch "test" created off master
2. In my eclipse I have one repository under git control
3. Create a new folder (project/portlet/whatever) in the project and put some files in it
4. Immediatly add+commit your changes
5. You can see the icon by your folder is the source control icon
6. Switch to test
7. See in eclipse that your folder is still there except has a ? on the icon (in master it has the source control icon)
-- Already broken at this point, shouldn't it be gone? --
8. Now you have a rogue folder (with its contents) in your test branch that shouldn't be there. It will be there forever unless you delete it manually or merge from master.
-- Now for the reverse --
9. Now create a new folder/project/portlet in your test branch with some files
10. Immediatly add+commit it
11. Switch back to the master branch
12. Now you have the rogue folder from your test branch in master. It has the ? icon by it.

I am about to install msysgit and tortoisegit and see if they behave the same way. I am on Eclispe Indigo, which includes EGit with it.

[Updated on: Wed, 23 November 2011 21:01]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Switching branches leaves folders that should be gone! [message #758807 is a reply to message #758598] Thu, 24 November 2011 15:43 Go to previous message
Stefan Lay is currently offline Stefan LayFriend
> 7. See in eclipse that your folder is still there except has a ? on the icon (in
> master it has the source control icon)
> -- Already broken at this point, shouldn't it be gone? --

Yes, it should be gone. I cannot reproduce that with the latest nightly build and with Indigo SR1.

Do you see any messages in the Error Log? Do you see that always in different projects?
Previous Topic:git pull command error
Next Topic:workaround for the broken aspect of refs/remotes
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Mar 19 02:17:31 GMT 2024