Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Newcomers » Newcomers » How to update 3.7.x to latest maintenance build?
How to update 3.7.x to latest maintenance build? [message #754582] Thu, 03 November 2011 11:49 Go to next message
Michael Brown is currently offline Michael BrownFriend

I'm running Eclipse Indigo SR1, Build id: 20110916-0149, on OS X Lion, and it's running fine, but there's a bug that affects OS X (Bugzilla 357127) which has been fixed in the most recent 3.7.x maintenance build and in the 3.7.2 and 3.8 streams, and I'd really like to have the fix as the bug is really affecting my productivity.

My question is how do I update to the latest 3.7.x maintenance build? The Eclipse Project Downloads page has links for the most recent 3.7.x stream build (M20111102-0800) but that is is a full download tar.gz.

Is there a way to get this build via the software update process? What's the update site URL? If not, having downloaded the tar.gz above can I just copy it over my existing installation without breaking it? Will I keep all the J2EE development stuff I currently have installed?

Apologies for not posting links in my post, this is due to the absurd (IMO) restriction on not being able to post links in your first 5 forum postings.
Re: How to update 3.7.x to latest maintenance build? [message #754822 is a reply to message #754582] Fri, 04 November 2011 13:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Eric Rizzo is currently offline Eric RizzoFriend
On 11/3/11 7:49 AM, Michael Brown wrote:
> I'm running Eclipse Indigo SR1, Build id: 20110916-0149, on OS X Lion,
> and it's running fine, but there's a bug that affects OS X (Bugzilla
> 357127) which has been fixed in the most recent 3.7.x maintenance build
> and in the 3.7.2 and 3.8 streams, and I'd really like to have the fix as
> the bug is really affecting my productivity.
>
> My question is how do I update to the latest 3.7.x maintenance build?
> The Eclipse Project Downloads page has links for the most recent 3.7.x
> stream build (M20111102-0800) but that is is a full download tar.gz.
>
> Is there a way to get this build via the software update process? What's
> the update site URL? If not, having downloaded the tar.gz above can I
> just copy it over my existing installation without breaking it? Will I
> keep all the J2EE development stuff I currently have installed?
> Apologies for not posting links in my post, this is due to the absurd
> (IMO) restriction on not being able to post links in your first 5 forum
> postings.

Since that's a Platform/SWT bug, you'll want to get the update site for
the 3.7.x maintenance stream, add that in your Install New Software
dialog, and update SWT from there.
You might find it here: http://wiki.eclipse.org/Eclipse_Project_Update_Sites
But I'd ask on the SWT forum group to make sure you get the right thing.

Eric
Re: How to update 3.7.x to latest maintenance build? [message #754834 is a reply to message #754822] Fri, 04 November 2011 14:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message

I checked the Eclipse Project Update Sites before (would have linked to it if I were allowed...) and there doesn't appear to be anything for the 3.7.x maintenance stream. I'll check with the SWT forum group though, thanks.

Michael.
Re: How to update 3.7.x to latest maintenance build? [message #755087 is a reply to message #754834] Mon, 07 November 2011 10:53 Go to previous message

Here's how I managed to fix my specific issue and I'll just put it here incase anyone else has the same problem, but you should be warned that what I did could very well screw up your Eclipse install. The reason it worked in this case was because the change here was very minor and only affected a single Java class:

I downloaded the latest 3.7.x build for Mac OS X (cocoa 64 bit), which includes the fix I wanted. I found the specific jar that I knew contained the fix (org.eclipse.swt.cocoa.macosx.x86_64_3.7.1.v3740.jar), copied it to my existing eclipse installation (in eclipse/plugins) and renamed it to the version that was already there (org.eclipse.swt.cocoa.macosx.x86_64_3.7.1.v3738a.jar) so that Eclipse would start correctly.

Luckily this worked. YMMV.

Michael.
Previous Topic:Scan documents from Safari on Mac - Dynamic Web TWAIN
Next Topic:[Solved] Eclipse Indigo - Mac OS X - No Menu Bar
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Apr 23 06:07:09 GMT 2024