Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Spatiotemporal Epidemiological Modeler (STEM) » Stem for Mainframes(Is it possible to run STEM on Mainframe running Z/OS)
Stem for Mainframes [message #754486] Wed, 02 November 2011 17:34 Go to next message
meetprinks is currently offline meetprinksFriend
Is it possible to run STEM on Mainframe running Z/OS or USS(Unix System Service) ?
Re: Stem for Mainframes [message #754502 is a reply to message #754486] Wed, 02 November 2011 19:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
James Kaufman is currently offline James KaufmanFriend
If the mainframe runs Java then it should work (but we have not tried this). Please let us know what you find out. Do you intend to run Headless?
http://wiki.eclipse.org/STEM_Headless
Re: Stem for Mainframes [message #754505 is a reply to message #754486] Wed, 02 November 2011 19:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
James Kaufman is currently offline James KaufmanFriend
Of course we do not have a binary build for this so you would have to try to create one. Please check out this page.

http://download.eclipse.org/eclipse/downloads/drops/R-3.7.1-201109091335/index.php

You would first have to get the Eclipse Development Environment to run using a
Linux (s390x/GTK 2) platform - if that is your platform. Once you have eclipse running for OS390 you would have to checkout the STEM source and get it to build and run. Eclipse itself has platform dependent features. If you can get it to run in the development environment it should be possible to make the binary. Please let us know how it goes if you decide to try.

[Updated on: Wed, 02 November 2011 19:28]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Stem for Mainframes [message #754507 is a reply to message #754486] Wed, 02 November 2011 19:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Matthew DavisFriend
Hi,

STEM should work fine on all platforms that Eclipse supports. Eclipse platform support is mostly determined by JVM + Eclipse native lib support for things like SWT and File IO.

Right now, it looks like Eclipse does not support z/OS directly. They do support Linux on S/390 using GTK. If Linux on S/390 is an option, you can follow the steps Jamie suggested above, or we can create a test build for you for that platform

-Matt
Re: Stem for Mainframes [message #754524 is a reply to message #754507] Wed, 02 November 2011 22:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
No Message Body
Re: Stem for Mainframes [message #754525 is a reply to message #754524] Wed, 02 November 2011 22:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks janes and Matthew,
I want to use mainframe power as destop version is very slow. Did research and found that it is not possible to run Java on Z/Os but it is possible to run Java code on Unix System Service. Will study possibility of using Eclipse of there is one nice IBM tool Rational developer for System Z by which one can get windows like interface of Z/Os and Unix. will explore more an post my result. But my target is to run STEM on Mainframes.
Thanks.
Re: Stem for Mainframes [message #757554 is a reply to message #754525] Fri, 18 November 2011 23:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Priyank  is currently offline Priyank Friend
Hi, i want to know whether i can run the STEM headless on Unix System Service running on Z/OS on mainframes downloaded from //www.eclipse.org/stem/downloads.php version Linux (x86 32bit/GTK 2) . As this is Linux and my system has Unix System Service. i tried running headless version following the instruction on link //wiki.eclipse.org/STEM_Headless but i was not able to run. So just wanted to know that is STEM Headless supported on Mainframes running Unix System Service
Thanks for the help.
Re: Stem for Mainframes [message #758384 is a reply to message #757554] Tue, 22 November 2011 23:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Stefan Edlund is currently offline Stefan EdlundFriend
Hi Priyank, sorry for the slow response. None of us have tried running on Unix System Service before, so thanks for trying it out. What problem did you encounter when you tried running STEM headless?

Thanks
/ Stefan
Re: Stem for Mainframes [message #890051 is a reply to message #754486] Wed, 20 June 2012 19:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timi tiwinkle is currently offline timi tiwinkleFriend
hello dear ones...

I have a Rexx code which on completion will generate a stem variable containing a few values. I have to use this stem in internal function. i have problem with this. but
i am curious to know, if there is a way to parse stem variables to an external function. (By external function I mean, a function written as a separate Rexx in another member of the same PDS.)

Can someone help me with this please?

thanks ...
Re: Stem for Mainframes [message #890054 is a reply to message #890051] Wed, 20 June 2012 20:28 Go to previous message
Stefan Edlund is currently offline Stefan EdlundFriend
Hi I think you meant to post this question to a Rexx scripting language forum, not the SpatioTemporal Epidemiological Modeler forum.
Regards,
/ Stefan
Previous Topic:Infrastructure for custom mixing transportation models now available
Next Topic:Effects of Flu in Australia
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 12:26:05 GMT 2024