Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » P2 » Installing plug-ins and data (DLLs)
Installing plug-ins and data (DLLs) [message #753471] Thu, 27 October 2011 12:17
Marcin   is currently offline Marcin Friend
Hi Eclipsers,

Firstly, let me describe my situation.

I have three plug-ins which may be installed independently on each other (they are to support configuration of our main product). During installation of the main product user may decide which plug-ins he needs.

So I have one feature for each plug-in.

We decided to create an update site for our plug-ins, and until this point everything works fine. But the problem is that one of our plug-ins requires several DLLs to communicate with the main product. Before the update site times we had p2.inf file within the folder with plug-ins and features where was defined what should be copied where and it worked very well. But unfortunately it doesn't work with the update site.

In the old approach (before update site) we used "export/Deployable features" to create binary form of our features and only plug-ins where in the jar form.

In the update site features are zipped into jars too.

Secondly, the problem is, when I create update site, DLLs are not copied during installation. I was trying to debug p2 and figured out that p2.inf is not parsed (AdviceFileAdvice class) when installing features from the update site.

Is there any way to have an update site with non-plug-ins content like DLLs?

I see that there is something called "Archive Mapping" in the site.xml editor, but I couldn't find any documentation related to this topic.

To install feature from the update site I'm using the following command:

eclipsec.exe -nosplash -application org.eclipse.equinox.p2.director -repository jar:file:///d:\Eclipse_Workspaces\update-site-dummy_workspace\com.experiment.updatesite\experiment_update_site_1.0.0.zip!/ -installIU com.experiment.feature.one.feature.group -profile PlatformProfile -destination .

Finally, I have to mention that I'm using Eclipse 3.4 and there is no way to update it since the product we are supporting is based on this version.

Thanks in advance for any hints,
Marcin

[Updated on: Thu, 27 October 2011 12:26]

Report message to a moderator

Previous Topic:Imposible to install plug-ins with P2 director application
Next Topic:How to check if a feature with given id is installed from the command line?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 20:30:52 GMT 2024