Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Modeling » EMF » [CDO] CDO client and server version compatibility
[CDO] CDO client and server version compatibility [message #753216] Wed, 26 October 2011 17:24 Go to next message
Warwick Burrows is currently offline Warwick BurrowsFriend
Hi,

We've deployed a standalone CDO 4.0 SR1 server from the CDO download site and I'd like to know whether we can use the CDO 4.0 SR1 client deployed in eclipse 3.6 and EMF 2.6.1 environment to talk to the server. We're using the CDO 4.0 SR1 client from this drop:

http://download.eclipse.org/modeling/emf/cdo/drops/R20110913-0010/

We are able to connect to the server with this configuration but what was working with EMF 2.7 has stopped working (quietly) with EMF 2.6. Can anyone comment on whether the 4.0 SR1 client will run with Eclipse 3.6/EMF 2.6 with some adjustment, or:

- are Eclipse 3.6/EMF 2.6 and the 4.0 SR1 client totally incompatible?
- are there some features in the CDO 4.0 SR1 client that will never work with Eclipse 3.6/EMF 2.6 ?
- If we use a CDO 3.0 client in Eclipse 3.6/EMF 2.6 against a CDO 4.0 SR1 client then are there features of the server that are incompatible or that we will not be able to use.

We are going to use 4.0 SR1 server because of the features it has but would prefer not to require that all of our users upgrade to eclipse 3.7 in order to use our CDO enabled clients. Upgrading will require that they reconfigure all of their favourite plugins as well as reinstalling all the ones our company provides which is perceived as wasted overhead by our users. I would appreciate the community's (and of course Eike's) feedback and experience with client compatibility.

Thanks,
Warwick
Re: [CDO] CDO client and server version compatibility [message #753302 is a reply to message #753216] Wed, 26 October 2011 18:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Eike Stepper is currently offline Eike StepperFriend
Am 26.10.2011 19:24, schrieb Warwick Burrows:
> Hi,
> We've deployed a standalone CDO 4.0 SR1 server from the CDO download site and I'd like to know whether we can use the
> CDO 4.0 SR1 client deployed in eclipse 3.6 and EMF 2.6.1 environment to talk to the server. We're using the CDO 4.0
> SR1 client from this drop:
> http://download.eclipse.org/modeling/emf/cdo/drops/R20110913-0010/
Yes, you're generally supposed to use client and server that come from the same build. For different integration builds
we generally give no guarantee. For different builds of the same stream (x.y) it usually works but in very rare cases (I
can not even remember one now) there's a potential that client and server can not talk to each other.

>
> We are able to connect to the server with this configuration
As you said, both from the same build?

> but what was working with EMF 2.7 has stopped working (quietly) with EMF 2.6.
What exactly is not working anymore?

Please note that we *try* to provide compatibility for older EMF versions. That may not be possible for each and every
function in CDO. We neither document nor test that. We give no official guarantees nor do we officially support problems
in these situations.

> Can anyone comment on whether the 4.0 SR1 client will run with Eclipse 3.6/EMF 2.6 with some adjustment, or:
>
> - are Eclipse 3.6/EMF 2.6 and the 4.0 SR1 client totally incompatible?
Not totally, I'd say ;-)

> - are there some features in the CDO 4.0 SR1 client that will never work with Eclipse 3.6/EMF 2.6 ?
I doubt someone has a list of such features. Others?

> - If we use a CDO 3.0 client in Eclipse 3.6/EMF 2.6 against a CDO 4.0 SR1 client
A client against a client?

> then are there features of the server that are incompatible
What version of the server?

> or that we will not be able to use.
Unfortunately we still don't have a nice detection mechansim of such incompatibilities. Adding that would be nice but
not trivial.

>
> We are going to use 4.0 SR1 server because of the features it has but would prefer not to require that all of our
> users upgrade to eclipse 3.7
Usually we do not care so much about the Eclipse platform version. But the official support guarantee is the same.

> in order to use our CDO enabled clients. Upgrading will require that they reconfigure all of their favourite plugins
> as well as reinstalling all the ones our company provides which is perceived as wasted overhead by our users. I would
> appreciate the community's (and of course Eike's) feedback and experience with client compatibility.
To summarize: I *think* all 4.0 features (SRx never has new features) work with 3.6 Eclipse and most features work with
EMF 2.6, but no guarantee.

Cheers
/Eike

----
http://www.esc-net.de
http://thegordian.blogspot.com
http://twitter.com/eikestepper

Re: [CDO] CDO client and server version compatibility [message #753378 is a reply to message #753302] Wed, 26 October 2011 23:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi Eike, Thanks for your reply.

Quote:

> We are able to connect to the server with this configuration
As you said, both from the same build?

We were trying eclipse 3.6/emf 3.6 with CDO client 4.0 SR1 and were able to connect to the CDO server but not able to do any of the things the developer had managed to do with EMF 2.7.

Quote:

> but what was working with EMF 2.7 has stopped working (quietly) with EMF 2.6.
What exactly is not working anymore?

The developer was able to modify our model objects in the repository and save them and had added code to our model editor plugin allowing it to be called to edit the objects in the CDO repo. This was working with EMF 2.7 but not when she reverted to EMF 2.6. She is still working on it to see if its something simple but I thought I would send this email to ascertain whether it's worth spending time to get it working or whether the community experience has been that the CDO 4.0 client will only work with eclipse 3.6 and EMF 2.7.

Quote:
> - If we use a CDO 3.0 client in Eclipse 3.6/EMF 2.6 against a CDO 4.0 SR1 client
A client against a client?

> then are there features of the server that are incompatible
What version of the server?

I mistyped. I actually wanted to ask whether its feasible to use a CDO 3.0 client with a CDO 4.0 server (not client) but I'm guessing that some of the new CDO 4.0 features like branching and offline clone mode would require client side support and wouldn't work at all with client 3.0.

Thanks,
Warwick

Re: [CDO] CDO client and server version compatibility [message #753399 is a reply to message #753378] Thu, 27 October 2011 04:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Eike Stepper is currently offline Eike StepperFriend
Am 27.10.2011 01:11, schrieb Warwick Burrows:
> Hi Eike, Thanks for your reply.
You're welcome. I know that some folks are using newer CDOs with older EMFs. I've cc'ed Vik because he may be able to
comment.

If you hit concrete problems, e.g., in the form of exceptions please post the stack trace. Against our official support
policy we may be interested to fix minor incompatibilities if it's easily possible ;-)

Cheers
/Eike

----
http://www.esc-net.de
http://thegordian.blogspot.com
http://twitter.com/eikestepper

>
> Quote:
>> > We are able to connect to the server with this configuration As you said, both from the same build?
>
>
> We were trying eclipse 3.6/emf 3.6 with CDO client 4.0 SR1 and were able to connect to the CDO server but not able to
> do any of the things the developer had managed to do with EMF 2.7.
>
> Quote:
>> > but what was working with EMF 2.7 has stopped working (quietly) with EMF 2.6. What exactly is not working anymore?
>
>
> The developer was able to modify our model objects in the repository and save them and had added code to our model
> editor plugin allowing it to be called to edit the objects in the CDO repo. This was working with EMF 2.7 but not when
> she reverted to EMF 2.6. She is still working on it to see if its something simple but I thought I would send this
> email to ascertain whether it's worth spending time to get it working or whether the community experience has been
> that the CDO 4.0 client will only work with eclipse 3.6 and EMF 2.7.
>
> Quote:
>> > - If we use a CDO 3.0 client in Eclipse 3.6/EMF 2.6 against a CDO 4.0 SR1 client
>> A client against a client?
>>
>> > then are there features of the server that are incompatible What version of the server?
>
>
> I mistyped. I actually wanted to ask whether its feasible to use a CDO 3.0 client with a CDO 4.0 server (not client)
> but I'm guessing that some of the new CDO 4.0 features like branching and offline clone mode would require client side
> support and wouldn't work at all with client 3.0.
>
> Thanks,
> Warwick
>
>
>

Re: [CDO] CDO client and server version compatibility [message #753462 is a reply to message #753399] Thu, 27 October 2011 11:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Victor Roldan Betancort is currently offline Victor Roldan BetancortFriend
Hi guys,

as Eike pointed out, CDO 4.0 with EMF 2.6.0 should be possible. There
are no API issues that would affect integration, and so far it is
working great for us, no complains!

Cheers,
Víctor.

Eike Stepper escribió:
> Am 27.10.2011 01:11, schrieb Warwick Burrows:
>> Hi Eike, Thanks for your reply.
> You're welcome. I know that some folks are using newer CDOs with older
> EMFs. I've cc'ed Vik because he may be able to comment.
>
> If you hit concrete problems, e.g., in the form of exceptions please
> post the stack trace. Against our official support policy we may be
> interested to fix minor incompatibilities if it's easily possible ;-)
>
> Cheers
> /Eike
>
> ----
> http://www.esc-net.de
> http://thegordian.blogspot.com
> http://twitter.com/eikestepper
>
>
>>
>> Quote:
>>> > We are able to connect to the server with this configuration As you
>>> said, both from the same build?
>>
>>
>> We were trying eclipse 3.6/emf 3.6 with CDO client 4.0 SR1 and were
>> able to connect to the CDO server but not able to do any of the things
>> the developer had managed to do with EMF 2.7.
>>
>> Quote:
>>> > but what was working with EMF 2.7 has stopped working (quietly)
>>> with EMF 2.6. What exactly is not working anymore?
>>
>>
>> The developer was able to modify our model objects in the repository
>> and save them and had added code to our model editor plugin allowing
>> it to be called to edit the objects in the CDO repo. This was working
>> with EMF 2.7 but not when she reverted to EMF 2.6. She is still
>> working on it to see if its something simple but I thought I would
>> send this email to ascertain whether it's worth spending time to get
>> it working or whether the community experience has been that the CDO
>> 4.0 client will only work with eclipse 3.6 and EMF 2.7.
>>
>> Quote:
>>> > - If we use a CDO 3.0 client in Eclipse 3.6/EMF 2.6 against a CDO
>>> 4.0 SR1 client
>>> A client against a client?
>>>
>>> > then are there features of the server that are incompatible What
>>> version of the server?
>>
>>
>> I mistyped. I actually wanted to ask whether its feasible to use a CDO
>> 3.0 client with a CDO 4.0 server (not client) but I'm guessing that
>> some of the new CDO 4.0 features like branching and offline clone mode
>> would require client side support and wouldn't work at all with client
>> 3.0.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Warwick
>>
>>
>>
Re: [CDO] CDO client and server version compatibility [message #753599 is a reply to message #753462] Thu, 27 October 2011 23:36 Go to previous message
Thanks to you all for your input. With a little tweaking of the 3.6 platform configuration and clearing out the old EMF model elements from our CDO server we are back on track using CDO 4.0 SR1 client on the 3.6 platform.

Of course if anyone else has words of wisdom with respect to compatibilty I'd still like to hear from you Smile
Previous Topic:[EMF] URI and Content Handler
Next Topic:Feature delegation: None vs Dynamic
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 18 09:14:44 GMT 2024