Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Archived » Sapphire » Using Groovy as Sapphire Expression Language
Using Groovy as Sapphire Expression Language [message #746536] Sun, 23 October 2011 14:10 Go to next message
St Clair Clarke is currently offline St Clair ClarkeFriend
Hello Commiters,

I noticed that the Expression Language is JSP-like as documented. I was wondering Groovy could not be used, or optionally, allow the expression language to be chosen.

With Groovy, one has the full complement of Java at ones disposal.

Please let me know what you think.
Re: Using Groovy as Sapphire Expression Language [message #746813 is a reply to message #746536] Sun, 23 October 2011 18:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Konstantin Komissarchik is currently offline Konstantin KomissarchikFriend
Supporting a variety of expression languages is no simple undertaking, especially for a framework like Sapphire which places some very specific requirements on the expression language. Sapphire EL borrows syntax from JSP EL, but is implemented completely from scratch. That's because Sapphire models need to listen for changes to the results of the expressions. The expressions have to be smart enough to know when their inputs have changed, to trigger re-evaluation of the sub-expression and be able to abort re-evaluation when sub-expression results stop changing as you go up the hierarchy. Such capabilities are critical to have declarative models that perform well and don't require user to hit the refresh button to see changes.

- Konstantin
Re: Using Groovy as Sapphire Expression Language [message #746818 is a reply to message #746813] Sun, 23 October 2011 18:36 Go to previous message
St Clair Clarke is currently offline St Clair ClarkeFriend
Thanks a million Konstantin.
Previous Topic:Which is the most recent - Sapphire documentaton or Konstatin's Blog
Next Topic:Creating 'sapphire' project
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun Nov 27 18:01:25 GMT 2022