Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Equinox » Update jars inside Eclipse plugin
Update jars inside Eclipse plugin [message #82466] Fri, 02 February 2007 11:24 Go to next message
Eclipse UserFriend
Originally posted by: alexey.kalmykoff.gmail.com

Hi,

I have an Eclipse plugin. This plugin deploys as a directory inside "eclipse/plugin" (not a single jar file) and it contains jars. The purpose of this plugin is just to be a container for libraries to be used by other plugins.

I would like to update those JARs (inside my plugin) from some location (directory or may be url). In that location there are only JARs files and no OSGi bundle.

Is it possible to do this using Equinox? Or my be any other way? Any ideas would be much appreciated!

Thanks in advance!
Re: Update jars inside Eclipse plugin [message #82496 is a reply to message #82466] Fri, 02 February 2007 12:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Danail Nachev is currently offline Danail NachevFriend
Hi, Alexey

As a matter of fact this directory, which is only container, is, in
fact, a plugin. You can also use Update component of the Eclipse
Platform, to update this plugin, which will update the libraries too.
As this plugin is essentially a bundle in OSGi world, you can use
Equinox mechanisms to update it.

The limitation, which you will encounter is that you cannot update only
the libraries, you will have to update the whole bundle.

Danail

Alexey_K wrote:
> Hi,
>
>
> I have an Eclipse plugin. This plugin deploys as a directory inside "eclipse/plugin" (not a single jar file) and it contains jars. The purpose of this plugin is just to be a container for libraries to be used by other plugins.
>
> I would like to update those JARs (inside my plugin) from some location (directory or may be url). In that location there are only JARs files and no OSGi bundle.
>
> Is it possible to do this using Equinox? Or my be any other way? Any ideas would be much appreciated!
>
> Thanks in advance!
Re: Update jars inside Eclipse plugin [message #82512 is a reply to message #82466] Fri, 02 February 2007 12:25 Go to previous message
Eclipse UserFriend
Originally posted by: alex_blewitt.yahoo.com

Don't do this is the best advice I can give :-)

It's fine having one bundle that exports multiple things to clients, but don't package them internally to that bundle. Instead, package them as separate bundles (e.g. org.apache.log4j_1.2.3.jar) and then have your container bundle import (and re-export) that. That way, you'll only need to update the log4j bundle when it changes.

Note that this too is bad practice; it's much better for the bundle to know what dependencies it has directly rather than 'some random stuff from another bundle'. If you want to update/manage them as one, I'd suggest representing them as a feature instead (e.g org.example.opensource) that includes the various bundles you're using (e.g. org.apache.log4j, org.apache.commonslogging etc.) but then update the bundles individually.

Alex.
Previous Topic:Thomas Watson: Top Committer Award Nominee
Next Topic:Simple Jetty Setup won't work.
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 09:09:33 GMT 2024