Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Modeling » Ecore Tools » Proper API documentation in javadoc of generated classes(How can I annotate a model with documentation? How can I get rid of "there really should be more of a description here"?)
Proper API documentation in javadoc of generated classes [message #742167] Thu, 20 October 2011 08:40
Martin Domig is currently offline Martin DomigFriend
Hello

I have an EMF model which I expect to grow to a considerable complexity over time, so I want to add some documentation.

I would like to

• Document the ecore model itself (so that one can see what the semantic meaning of an attribute is when looking at the ecore model)
  • Generate proper javadoc in the generated java classes.

I found an EAnnotation for documentation in the model (source="http://www.eclipse.org/emf/2002/GenModel" with a details entry key="documentation") - which works, but does just half the trick. Googling this turned up half the world and a little bit more, so I have to ask here.

The generated code, when I use that EAnnotation, contains my custom documentation inside begin-model-doc and end-model-doc tags, but still contains the usual hard-coded javadoc "...there really should be more of a description here..."

/**
 * Returns the value of the '<em><b>Object Name</b></em>' attribute.
 * <!-- begin-user-doc -->
 * <p>
 * If the meaning of the '<em>Object Name</em>' attribute isn't clear,
 * there really should be more of a description here...
 * </p>
 * <!-- end-user-doc -->
 * <!-- begin-model-doc -->
 * Name associated with the object. This name can be used as blah blah blah
 * <!-- end-model-doc -->
 * @return the value of the '<em>Object Name</em>' attribute.
 * @see #setObjectName(String)
 * @see org.eclipse.example.#getModel_ObjectName()
 * @generated
 */
String getObjectName();

Is there a way to tell EMF that I actually have "more of a description" and therefore it does not need to generate that part of the javadoc?

Is there a way to get rid of that part of the javadoc without manually editing the generated code?

Are there other ways to add documentation to a model, or are there other EAnnotations that can be used?

Thanks for your help!

-Martin

[Updated on: Thu, 20 October 2011 08:40]

Report message to a moderator

Previous Topic:How to set EDateTime in ecore editor?
Next Topic:How to set an class extended attribute
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 01:48:20 GMT 2024