Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Language IDEs » C / C++ IDE (CDT) » How to connect to a process and/or core dump ?
How to connect to a process and/or core dump ? [message #740473] Tue, 18 October 2011 14:53 Go to next message
Russ  is currently offline Russ Friend
Hi all,

Am a newbie to eclipse (come from MSDev) but am impressed so far, seems a great IDE.

I have created a basic multi-threading app that goes into a deadlock (on purpose!). I can run and suspend it in the debugger OK and view the various thread stacks. I now want to try to run it up from the command line and connect to it in the debugger to simulate debugging a currently running app that has got itself into a state. I presume I just need to hit the 'connect to a process' button on the Debug view but it never seems to be available to select ? How do I get it available ?

Also, presuming I have an app core dump (or force one with a kill pid sig call which I believe is possible) is it possible to connect the debugger to the core so I can see the state the app was in ?

Many thanks.

Re: How to connect to a process and/or core dump ? [message #740484 is a reply to message #740473] Tue, 18 October 2011 15:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
OK, managed to connect to a running process by selecting the Run->Debug Configuration->App to connect to and then hitting the Debug button and selecting the app. Still don't see why the connect to button was not available ?

Is it possible to connect to a core ?
Re: How to connect to a process and/or core dump ? [message #741092 is a reply to message #740484] Wed, 19 October 2011 07:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Axel Mueller is currently offline Axel MuellerFriend
Russ wrote on Tue, 18 October 2011 17:04
OK, managed to connect to a running process by selecting the Run->Debug Configuration->App to connect to and then hitting the Debug button and selecting the app. Still don't see why the connect to button was not available ?

I personally never used this button. Using Run->Debug Configuration->App to connect to is the correct way.

Quote:
Is it possible to connect to a core ?

Run->Debug Configuration->Postmortem debugger

Before you ask
- search this forum
- see the FAQ http://wiki.eclipse.org/CDT/User/FAQ
- google
Re: How to connect to a process and/or core dump ? [message #741203 is a reply to message #741092] Wed, 19 October 2011 09:37 Go to previous message
Excellent, thanks for that, should have seen it really.
Previous Topic:Debug mixed projects in eclipse
Next Topic:Breakpoints ignored !!!!
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 06:03:05 GMT 2024