Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » EclipseLink » Problem persisting TimestampTZ with JPA
Problem persisting TimestampTZ with JPA [message #737095] Fri, 14 October 2011 16:52 Go to next message
Jeremy Purdy is currently offline Jeremy PurdyFriend
Versions
Eclipselink 2.1
Oracle 10.2.0.4
Tomcat 5.5.26

Using JPA, I am attempting to persist a java.util.Calendar object to an Oracle Timestamp With Time Zone column. From what I have read, Eclipselink is supposed to just handle this for Oracle DB.

However, an attempt at a direct mapping:

@Entity
@Table(name="TIMESTAMP_TZ_TEST")
public class TimestampTzTest {
	@Id
	private Long id;
	@Column(name="TIME")
	private Calendar time;

public Long getId() {
		return id;
	}
	public void setId(Long id) {
		this.id = id;
	}
	public Calendar getTime() {
		return time;
	}

public void setTime(Calendar time) {
		this.time = time;
	}
}

fails during startup because
The attribute [time] from the entity class [class eg.model.TimestampTzTest] does not specify a temporal type.

Next, I try using a TypeConverter

@Column(name="TIME")
	@Convert("timestamptz")
	@TypeConverter(name="timestamptz", dataType=TIMESTAMPTZ.class)
	private Calendar time;

This results in an error during execution:
Caused by: java.lang.ClassCastException: org.apache.tomcat.dbcp.dbcp.DelegatingCallableStatement cannot be cast to oracle.jdbc.OracleCallableStatement
	at oracle.sql.TRANSDUMP.getTransitions(TRANSDUMP.java:42)
	at oracle.sql.TIMEZONETAB.updateTable(TIMEZONETAB.java:456)
	at oracle.sql.TIMESTAMPTZ.toTimestamp(TIMESTAMPTZ.java:571)
	at oracle.sql.TIMESTAMPTZ.timestampValue(TIMESTAMPTZ.java:731)
	at org.eclipse.persistence.platform.database.oracle.Oracle9Platform.getTIMESTAMPTZFromResultSet(Oracle9Platform.java:192)

From what I have found during search, this appears to be caused by the Tomcat connection pool not returning the underlying OracleCallableStatement.

I have not been able to find a solution to this problem. Can someone please guide me?
Re: Problem persisting TimestampTZ with JPA [message #739728 is a reply to message #737095] Mon, 17 October 2011 19:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
James Sutherland is currently offline James SutherlandFriend

To support TIMESTAMPTZ EclipseLink needs access to the real JDBC connection.

If you are using a DataSource you need to set a ServerPlatform in EclipseLink that can unwrap the connection.
Log an enhancement request to have a platform added for Tomcat, it should be pretty simple to implement, so consider contributing it if you do.

James : Wiki : Book : Blog : Twitter
Re: Problem persisting TimestampTZ with JPA [message #739865 is a reply to message #739728] Mon, 17 October 2011 23:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks for the idea, I will give that a try and report the results.
Re: Problem persisting TimestampTZ with JPA [message #741541 is a reply to message #739865] Wed, 19 October 2011 16:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
It took a while to figure out how to unwrap the Tomcat DBCP Connection, until I found out that Spring has a helper method to do it. Here is my implemented TomcatServerPlatform, which has not been fully tested but works for this current scenario:

import java.sql.Connection;
import java.sql.SQLException;

import org.eclipse.persistence.platform.server.ServerPlatformBase;
import org.eclipse.persistence.sessions.DatabaseSession;
import org.springframework.jdbc.support.nativejdbc.CommonsDbcpNativeJdbcExtractor;

public class TomcatServerPlatform extends ServerPlatformBase {

public TomcatServerPlatform(DatabaseSession newDatabaseSession) {
		super(newDatabaseSession);
	}

@SuppressWarnings("unchecked")
	@Override
	public Class getExternalTransactionControllerClass() {
		return null;
	}

@Override
	public Connection unwrapConnection(Connection connection) {
		CommonsDbcpNativeJdbcExtractor nje = new CommonsDbcpNativeJdbcExtractor();

try {
			connection = nje.getNativeConnection(connection);
		} catch (SQLException e) {
			// TODO Auto-generated catch block
			e.printStackTrace();
		}

return connection;
	}
}

Configuring JPA to utilize this class requires the following properties within the persistence.xml:

<property name="eclipselink.target-database" value="org.eclipse.persistence.platform.database.oracle.Oracle10Platform"/>
<property name="eclipselink.target-server" value="data.jpa.eclipselink.support.TomcatServerPlatform"/>

Using the TypeConverter annotation listed previously this works properly and I am able to persist the Calendar object to a TIMESTAMP WITH TIME ZONE column.

Note that this implementation requires that you are using Spring. Because of this, this solution would not be a valid consideration to be included in Eclipselink for general use. I have been largely unsuccessful in unwrapping the DBCP connection without this Spring helper. If someone wants to try to figure that out, feel free.
Re: Problem persisting TimestampTZ with JPA [message #741542 is a reply to message #739865] Wed, 19 October 2011 16:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
It took a while to figure out how to unwrap the Tomcat DBCP Connection, until I found out that Spring has a helper method to do it. Here is my implemented TomcatServerPlatform, which has not been fully tested but works for this current scenario:

import java.sql.Connection;
import java.sql.SQLException;

import org.eclipse.persistence.platform.server.ServerPlatformBase;
import org.eclipse.persistence.sessions.DatabaseSession;
import org.springframework.jdbc.support.nativejdbc.CommonsDbcpNativeJdbcExtractor;

public class TomcatServerPlatform extends ServerPlatformBase {

public TomcatServerPlatform(DatabaseSession newDatabaseSession) {
super(newDatabaseSession);
}

@SuppressWarnings("unchecked")
@Override
public Class getExternalTransactionControllerClass() {
return null;
}

@Override
public Connection unwrapConnection(Connection connection) {
CommonsDbcpNativeJdbcExtractor nje = new CommonsDbcpNativeJdbcExtractor();

try {
connection = nje.getNativeConnection(connection);
} catch (SQLException e) {
// TODO Auto-generated catch block
e.printStackTrace();
}

return connection;
}
}

Configuring JPA to utilize this class requires the following properties within the persistence.xml:

<property name="eclipselink.target-database" value="org.eclipse.persistence.platform.database.oracle.Oracle10Platform"/>
<property name="eclipselink.target-server" value="data.jpa.eclipselink.support.TomcatServerPlatform"/>

Using the TypeConverter annotation listed previously this works properly and I am able to persist the Calendar object to a TIMESTAMP WITH TIME ZONE column.

Note that this implementation requires that you are using Spring. Because of this, this solution would not be a valid consideration to be included in Eclipselink for general use. I have been largely unsuccessful in unwrapping the DBCP connection without this Spring helper. If someone wants to try to figure that out, feel free.
Re: Problem persisting TimestampTZ with JPA [message #1784079 is a reply to message #741542] Thu, 22 March 2018 10:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kunal P is currently offline Kunal PFriend
Hi,

In TomcatServerPlatform class implementation when I am returning null in the getExternalTransactionControllerClass() method (the exact copy of class specified by Jeremy),
I am landing in Null pointer exception,

[EL Severe]: 2017-04-27 13:53:46.5--ServerSession(391501642)--java.lang.NullPointerException
at org.eclipse.persistence.internal.security.PrivilegedAccessHelper.newInstanceFromClass(PrivilegedAccessHelper.java:499)
at org.eclipse.persistence.platform.server.ServerPlatformBase.initializeExternalTransactionController(ServerPlatformBase.java:307)
at org.eclipse.persistence.internal.sessions.DatabaseSessionImpl.preConnectDatasource(DatabaseSessionImpl.java:801)
at org.eclipse.persistence.internal.sessions.DatabaseSessionImpl.login(DatabaseSessionImpl.java:773)
at org.eclipse.persistence.internal.jpa.EntityManagerFactoryProvider.login(EntityManagerFactoryProvider.java:267)
at org.eclipse.persistence.internal.jpa.EntityManagerSetupImpl.deploy(EntityManagerSetupImpl.java:731)
at org.eclipse.persistence.internal.jpa.EntityManagerFactoryDelegate.getAbstractSession(EntityManagerFactoryDelegate.java:205)
at org.eclipse.persistence.internal.jpa.EntityManagerFactoryDelegate.createEntityManagerImpl(EntityManagerFactoryDelegate.java:305)
at org.eclipse.persistence.internal.jpa.EntityManagerFactoryImpl.createEntityManagerImpl(EntityManagerFactoryImpl.java:337)
at org.eclipse.persistence.internal.jpa.EntityManagerFactoryImpl.createEntityManager(EntityManagerFactoryImpl.java:303)
at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:62)
at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:43)
at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:497)
at org.springframework.orm.jpa.AbstractEntityManagerFactoryBean.invokeProxyMethod(AbstractEntityManagerFactoryBean.java:459)
at org.springframework.orm.jpa.AbstractEntityManagerFactoryBean$ManagedEntityManagerFactoryInvocationHandler.invoke(AbstractEntityManagerFactoryBean.java:630)
at com.sun.proxy.$Proxy73.createEntityManager(Unknown Source)
at org.springframework.orm.jpa.SharedEntityManagerCreator$SharedEntityManagerInvocationHandler.invoke(SharedEntityManagerCreator.java:292)
at com.sun.proxy.$Proxy89.createQuery(Unknown Source)

13:53:46.655 ERROR o.t.a.web.ui.FaultBarrier - An error occurred 402b2481-de05-4171-b558-095804ed938f
javax.persistence.PersistenceException: java.lang.NullPointerException
at org.eclipse.persistence.internal.jpa.EntityManagerSetupImpl.deploy(EntityManagerSetupImpl.java:815)
at org.eclipse.persistence.internal.jpa.EntityManagerFactoryDelegate.getAbstractSession(EntityManagerFactoryDelegate.java:205)
at org.eclipse.persistence.internal.jpa.EntityManagerFactoryDelegate.createEntityManagerImpl(EntityManagerFactoryDelegate.java:305)
at org.eclipse.persistence.internal.jpa.EntityManagerFactoryImpl.createEntityManagerImpl(EntityManagerFactoryImpl.java:337)
at org.eclipse.persistence.internal.jpa.EntityManagerFactoryImpl.createEntityManager(EntityManagerFactoryImpl.java:303)
at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:62)
at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:43)
at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:497)
at org.springframework.orm.jpa.AbstractEntityManagerFactoryBean.invokeProxyMethod(AbstractEntityManagerFactoryBean.java:459)
at org.springframework.orm.jpa.AbstractEntityManagerFactoryBean$ManagedEntityManagerFactoryInvocationHandler.invoke(AbstractEntityManagerFactoryBean.java:630)
at com.sun.proxy.$Proxy73.createEntityManager(Unknown Source)
at org.springframework.orm.jpa.SharedEntityManagerCreator$SharedEntityManagerInvocationHandler.invoke(SharedEntityManagerCreator.java:292)
at com.sun.proxy.$Proxy89.createQuery(Unknown Source)

Any help would be appreciated.
Re: Problem persisting TimestampTZ with JPA [message #1784440 is a reply to message #1784079] Wed, 28 March 2018 02:22 Go to previous message
Chris Delahunt is currently offline Chris DelahuntFriend
You have posted elsewhere with additional information, suggesting you configured the persistence unit to use JTA. To be used, JPA requires access to the external transaction controller to be hooked into JTA, so you are going to need to create one that hooks into your JTA configuration, or use resource-local for your persistence unit.
Previous Topic:OrderColumn not respected in fetch of unidirectional OneToMan
Next Topic:EclipseLink 2.6 Long Primary Key Mapping PostgreSQL
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Mar 19 04:50:18 GMT 2024