Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » EGit / JGit » Quirk in "Compare with Version in Ancestor"("Compare with Version in Ancestor" doesn't always work)
Quirk in "Compare with Version in Ancestor" [message #736073] Thu, 13 October 2011 13:53 Go to next message
R Shapiro is currently offline R ShapiroFriend
The very handy "Compare with Version in Ancestor" operation in Git views has a quirk that I think is a minor bug, unless I'm misunderstanding. Here's an example case I use every day:

1) Fetch changes

2) Open any of the fetched commits listed in the dialog [a great feature by the way]

3) Right-click any file in the 'Files' section and select "Compare with Version in Ancestor" from the popup menu

4) Expected: diff view; Observed: nothing happens

5) Close the commit view

6) Reopen the same commit using whatever means you prefer, for instance by double-clicking the entry the Reflog view

7) repeat step (3)

8) A diff view appears, as expected

Maybe there's a good reason why compare-with-ancestor should not work in step (3). If it is supposed to work I can file this as a bug
Re: Quirk in "Compare with Version in Ancestor" [message #736124 is a reply to message #736073] Thu, 13 October 2011 16:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Matthias Sohn is currently offline Matthias SohnFriend
R Shapiro wrote on Thu, 13 October 2011 09:53
The very handy "Compare with Version in Ancestor" operation in Git views has a quirk that I think is a minor bug, unless I'm misunderstanding. Here's an example case I use every day:

1) Fetch changes

2) Open any of the fetched commits listed in the dialog [a great feature by the way]

3) Right-click any file in the 'Files' section and select "Compare with Version in Ancestor" from the popup menu

4) Expected: diff view; Observed: nothing happens

5) Close the commit view

6) Reopen the same commit using whatever means you prefer, for instance by double-clicking the entry the Reflog view

7) repeat step (3)

Cool A diff view appears, as expected

Maybe there's a good reason why compare-with-ancestor should not work in step (3). If it is supposed to work I can file this as a bug

I didn't know that this is possible Wink

2) I guess you meant: open commit by double clicking it to open the commit viewer, right ?
So afterwards you first need to close the fetch result dialog in order to be able to proceed.

4) I confirm this doesn't open diff view

I think this is a bug, could you file one ? Maybe we could also have the fetch result displayed in
a view instead of a modal dialog then this workflow could be repeated for several commits
which were transported by a single fetch. Or do you have a better idea ?
Re: Quirk in "Compare with Version in Ancestor" [message #736203 is a reply to message #736124] Thu, 13 October 2011 19:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yes (2) includes a double-click step. My shorthand for that was "Open", but I'll be more explicit in the bug report. As you point out, I also omitted the dialog-closing step (forgot that one completely). Since it's a modal dialog you can't proceed until it's closed.
Making it non-modal would certainly be nice from my point of view. I almost always want to walk through all the commits listed in the fetch dialog. Or if it needs to stay modal maybe just add an "Open All" toolbar or menu item?
Re: Quirk in "Compare with Version in Ancestor" [message #736886 is a reply to message #736203] Fri, 14 October 2011 12:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bug filed: https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=360956
Re: Quirk in "Compare with Version in Ancestor" [message #740339 is a reply to message #736886] Tue, 18 October 2011 12:05 Go to previous message
Fixed, thanks for the near instantaneous response.
Previous Topic:Can one have the standard eclipse workspace and a standard git repository?
Next Topic:extracting deltas from a pack using jGit
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Mar 19 11:50:45 GMT 2024