Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Platform - User Assistance (UA) » helpData.xml Ignored for Infocenter Startup(helpData.xml Ignored for Infocenter Startup)
helpData.xml Ignored for Infocenter Startup [message #733551] Wed, 05 October 2011 03:01 Go to next message
mma  is currently offline mma Friend
Hi,

I'm running Eclipse Classic 3.7.1.v201109091335 and attempting to create an Infocenter. The first step for me was to attempt to change the high level toc. I'm attempting to hide some of the elements in the toc but nothing I do has any effect.

Anyone else run into this?

This is what I have in helpData.xml

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<extensions>
        <tocOrder>
                <toc id="/org.eclipse.platform.doc.user/toc.xml"/>
        </tocOrder>
        <hidden>
                <toc id="/org.eclipse.jdt.doc.user/toc.xml"/>
                <toc id="/org.eclipse.platform.doc.isv/toc.xml"/>
                <toc id="/org.eclipse.jdt.doc.isv/toc.xml"/>
                <toc id="/org.eclipse.pde.doc.user/toc.xml"/>
        </hidden>
</extensions>

This is what I have in plugin_customization.ini:

# plugin_customization.ini 
# sets default values for plug-in-specific preferences
# keys are qualified by plug-in id
# e.g., com.example.acmeplugin/myproperty=myvalue
# java.io.Properties file (ISO 8859-1 with "\" escapes)
# "%key" are externalized strings defined in plugin_customization.properties
# This file does not need to be translated.

# WARNING: This file defines the preference overrides for the Platform build 
# (the one with no JDT or PDE), not the SDK build (aka the IDE).  
# For the SDK build, use the plugin_customization.ini file in the 
# org.eclipse.sdk plug-in instead.

# Property "org.eclipse.ui/defaultPerspectiveId" controls the 
# perspective that the workbench opens initially
org.eclipse.ui/defaultPerspectiveId=org.eclipse.ui.resourcePerspective

# new-style tabs by default
org.eclipse.ui/SHOW_TRADITIONAL_STYLE_TABS=false

# put the perspective switcher on the top right
org.eclipse.ui/DOCK_PERSPECTIVE_BAR=topRight

# show progress on startup
org.eclipse.ui/SHOW_PROGRESS_ON_STARTUP=true

# Welcome theme to use
org.eclipse.ui.intro/INTRO_THEME = org.eclipse.ui.intro.universal.slate

# Root page links to show in the Universal Welcome
org.eclipse.ui.intro.universal/INTRO_ROOT_PAGES = overview,tutorials,samples,whatsnew

# Initial page layout of the Universal Welcome
org.eclipse.ui.intro.universal/INTRO_DATA = product:introData.xml

# Order help books in table of contents
org.eclipse.help/HELP_DATA = helpData.xml

Thanks,

MMA
Re: helpData.xml Ignored for Infocenter Startup [message #733876 is a reply to message #733551] Wed, 05 October 2011 20:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I should say. I've been all over this forum trying every trick everyone has used...it still isn't working. No idea why at frickin all...two days of working this! I've tried multiple versions of Eclipse even...cripes!
Re: helpData.xml Ignored for Infocenter Startup [message #734419 is a reply to message #733876] Fri, 07 October 2011 17:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chris Goldthorpe is currently offline Chris GoldthorpeFriend
I think the problem is these lines:

org.eclipse.help/HELP_DATA = helpData.xml

The way the HELP_DATA preference was defined the paths are interpreted relative to the product plug-in, which for an infocenter doesn't usually exist. The best way around this is to use PLUGINS_ROOT which will always cause the remainder of the path to be interpreted as a path withing a plugin, for example

org.eclipse.help/HELP_DATA=PLUGINS_ROOT/org.eclipse.ua.tests/data/help/toc/toc_data/helpDataCustomized.xml

Re: helpData.xml Ignored for Infocenter Startup [message #741744 is a reply to message #734419] Wed, 19 October 2011 21:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi,

I just wanted to post a follow up to my post. Thank you for the response Chris. I had seen your post to someone else regarding this fix. I tried it and it didn't work for me either. I did extensive testing with several different versions of Eclipse. We have running 3.6.0 which a person other than me setup (he wasn't available to query). He got it running with helpData.xml but that didn't work for me -- not even when I tried to recreate with the same version. I was at a loss --- but it seemed other people had experienced problems with helpData.xml.

My goal was to find a configuration that worked with the latest version of Eclipse. This is what I found worked and worked consistently.

+ Specify the -pluginCustomization flag when starting Eclipse
+ Used the baseTOCs and ignoredTOCs keywords
+ Also used the help_home, banner, and banner_height keywords

My plugin_customization.ini file looks like:

org.eclipse.help/HELP_DATA=
#org.eclipse.help/baseTOCS=/release_notes/release_notes.xml,/install_config_help/install_config_help.xml,/operations_help/operations_help.xml,/solutions_help/solutions_help.xml,/pricing_rating_help/pricing_rating_help.xml
org.eclipse.help/ignoredTOCS=/org.eclipse.mylyn.help.ui/Mylyn-FAQ-toc.xml,/org.eclipse.mylyn.help.ui/Mylyn-User-Guide-toc.xml,/org.eclipse.mylyn.help.ui/toc.xml,/org.eclipse.mylyn.help.ui/primary-toc.xml,/org.eclipse.mylyn.ide.ui/doc/toc.xml,/org.eclipse.mylyn.java.ui/doc/toc.xml,/org.eclipse.mylyn.resources.ui/doc/toc.xml,/org.eclipse.mylyn.tasks.ui/doc/toc.xml,/org.eclipse.mylyn.wikitext.help.ui/help/Mylyn WikiText User Guide-toc.xml,/org.eclipse.mylyn.wikitext.help.ui/help/devguide/WikiText Developer Guide-toc.xml,/org.eclipse.mylyn.wikitext.help.ui/toc.xml,/org.eclipse.epp.mpc.help.ui/toc.xml,/org.eclipse.epp.usagedata.ui/toc.xml,/org.eclipse.egit.doc/help/toc.xml,/org.eclipse.platform.doc.user/toc.xml,/org.eclipse.jdt.doc.user/toc.xml,/org.eclipse.platform.doc.isv/toc.xml,/org.eclipse.jdt.doc.isv/toc.xml,/org.eclipse.pde.doc.user/toc.xml

# myplugin
# org.eclipse.help.base/help_home = /com.myplugin/help_home.html
# org.eclipse.help.base/banner = /com.myplugin/banner.html
# org.eclipse.help.base/banner_height = 90

I think helpData.xml would be the more elegant solution but it wouldn't work for me.

MMA

[Updated on: Wed, 19 October 2011 21:24]

Report message to a moderator

Re: helpData.xml Ignored for Infocenter Startup [message #846879 is a reply to message #741744] Mon, 16 April 2012 20:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jennifer Skiendzielewski is currently offline Jennifer SkiendzielewskiFriend
I had a horrible time getting helpdata.xml to work too. In the end, it turned out that I had saved the file as an ANSI file, not UTF8. As soon as I changed the encoding to UTF8, cleared out the configuration directory, and restarted the system, it worked. Of course, it took three weeks to get there...

icon5.gif  Re: helpData.xml Ignored for Infocenter Startup [message #949140 is a reply to message #741744] Thu, 18 October 2012 18:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Tyrin Avery is currently offline Tyrin AveryFriend
I also can't get helpData.xml to be recognized. I have a product plugin-in and two documentation plugins. It still displays a toc - the toc for the first plugin alphabetically. I've tried everything I can find - and it won't show up. I know the plugins are good, because I tried putting them in a configuration that doesn't use customization preferences with a product plugin, and then it found both plugins and displayed the TOCs for both.
I've tried everything I can think of - UTF-8 encoding, changing the path for the helpData.xml file to include PLUGINS_ROOT. None of it has worked. I just wish I had some way to debug what's going on with the infocenter. There doesn't seem to be any information anywhere about troubleshooting that involves setting up logs.
Re: helpData.xml Ignored for Infocenter Startup [message #1375182 is a reply to message #949140] Fri, 23 May 2014 00:03 Go to previous message
Elizabeth McLoughlin is currently offline Elizabeth McLoughlinFriend
I was having a lot of trouble getting helpData.xml to be read, and then I found this article online called, "An infocenter product plugin cookbook" (sorry can't post link).
This part that seemed to fix my problem:
"10. delete the text that was automatically generated for "application" and replace it with org.eclipse.help.base.helpApplication"
Previous Topic:Usage of AbstractContentExtensionProvider and IHelpContentProducer together
Next Topic:Searching in help does not work
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Mar 19 11:19:14 GMT 2024