Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » EGit / JGit » Cannot get EGit to ignore generated files
Cannot get EGit to ignore generated files [message #733454] Tue, 04 October 2011 18:53 Go to next message
Konstantin Komissarchik is currently offline Konstantin KomissarchikFriend
I am new to Git and EGit, so I am probably doing something wrong...

I have a repository [1] with one plugin. I used EGit UI to add build folders to the ignore list. This has generated .gitignore file with [2] content. Despite this, when I invoke EGit commit action, the dialog lists add operations for all the files in the build directories.

What do I need to do to get EGit to ignore generated files?

Thanks,

- Konstantin

[1] http://git.eclipse.org/c/webtools/org.eclipse.webtools.java-ee-config.git/

[2] /.resources
/.apt_generated
/bin
Re: Cannot get EGit to ignore generated files [message #734115 is a reply to message #733454] Thu, 06 October 2011 17:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Does this work for anyone or is there something particular about my repository/configuration that is making this not work? I cannot imagine that everyone is content with filtering out all the binary files from the commit dialog with every commit.

- Konstantin
Re: Cannot get EGit to ignore generated files [message #748745 is a reply to message #733454] Mon, 24 October 2011 21:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Matthias Sohn is currently offline Matthias SohnFriend
Usually the bin folder is already ignored as derived folders are already filtered out via Team API, you should still add corresponding ignore entries so that also native Git knows about these ignored files.

I tried to reproduce your problem but no binary files showed up for me. Provide more details about used Eclipse and EGit versions and steps how to reproduce the problem.
Re: Cannot get EGit to ignore generated files [message #748816 is a reply to message #748745] Mon, 24 October 2011 22:52 Go to previous message
This is pretty bizarre, but when I went to create a documented set of repro steps, I am not able to repro this problem in a new workspace with a new clone of the repository. The original workspace still exhibits that problem, but I don't know how to show a way to get to that state. It was the workspace I created the repository from initially, so I guess that could be connected. In any case, since using a fresh repository clone and a new workspace resolves this issue, I do not need to pursue this further.

- Konstantin
Previous Topic:commit gui reformats modified hard-wrapped text badly
Next Topic:Synchronize view hangs
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Mar 19 06:07:59 GMT 2024