Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Language IDEs » C / C++ IDE (CDT) » Unable to suspend (interrupt) debugged program(In certain configurations the "suspend" button in the debug perspective toolbar does nothing)
Unable to suspend (interrupt) debugged program [message #729382] Mon, 26 September 2011 04:20
Mike Alexander is currently offline Mike AlexanderFriend
I'm running Eclipse Indigo Service Release 1, Build id 20110916-0149 on MacOSX 10.6.8. Since my main goal is to work on a Fortran program I've got Photran version 7.0.2.201109141657 as well as CDT 1.4.1.20110909-1818 installed. Because Apple's version of gdb is too old to work well with Fortran I've also got gdb version 7.3 installed (as ggdb) via MacPorts.

This mostly works ok, I can debug programs and step through them and other debugging seems to work, with one exception. The suspend button does nothing. I've tried both the "Fortran Local Application" and the "C/C++ Application" debug configuration. The Fortran one gives me the option of seeing all the traffic between Eclipse and gdb and I can see no evidence that Eclipse ever sends the "-exec-interrupt" command. I can't find any such option in the C debug config, but I presume the same thing is happening (or not happening) there.

If I switch to using Apple's version of gdb and switch the Fortran config to use the "Standard (Mac OS)" command set (the C config has no such option) then suspend works and I can see the -exec-interrupt command being sent. Apple's gdb with the "Standard" command set (not Mac OS) doesn't work, so it appears to be something related to using the special Mac OS command set. This command set doesn't work, of course, with the version of gdb from MacPorts since it is the normal gdb not the Apple customized one.

Since interrupt doesn't work, various other things, like setting breakpoints in running programs don't work. In some cases terminate doesn't work either.

Note that this is not directly related to Fortran. I reproduced the same problem with the Hello World C sample by adding a loop that sleeps for 100 seconds one second at a time. No Fortran was involved. Fortran is just the reason that I want a newer gdb.

Does anyone know why Eclipse isn't sending the -exec-interrupt command, or what I can change to make it do so?
Previous Topic:How to Do a Custom Build Action and Attach Using Custom GDB Build with Eclipse
Next Topic:Eclipse CDT doesn't find standard library
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 14:46:10 GMT 2024