Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Rich Client Platform (RCP) » Handling multiple Projects in a RCP based Application / reusing existing eclipse components(How can I reuse existing components like the Navigator, Text- and XML-Editor)
Handling multiple Projects in a RCP based Application / reusing existing eclipse components [message #726056] Fri, 16 September 2011 13:31
Pete Crenshaw is currently offline Pete CrenshawFriend
I have developed an application for construction project scheduling. Inside this application I have managed to integrate the standard properties view by reusing the org.eclipse.ui.views.properties.PropertySheet class and the progress view (org.eclipse.ui.ExtensionFactory:progressView) via the plugin.xml. But it was like an accident that I found that. Where can I find a list of all this pretty and helpful components that I'm used to from the eclipse IDE? I would like to reuse more of them.

To point out my needs I will asks two combined questions.

1) Because I'm a newbie to RCP development my application can handle only one construction project at a time. I handle this in form of a static variable called "project". First of all I would like to know how to reuse the standard Navigator from eclipse. From my point of view I must setup a workspace and different construction projects. The workspace must be passed to the navigator so that all projects and all related files can be displayed. I need a tutorial for the following topics:

1a) What is the most common way to handle my construction projects?

1b)
How do I setup and handle my workspace?

1c) How do I use the navigator for my purpose?

2) If I somehow manage my problems of question one I will be interested how to react on a double-click on a file in the navigator? I have different file formats to handle. Actually I use some buttons and menus to open a File Dialog and open some files. As example: I read an ifc-file, create my own POJOs and display them inside my own views and perspectives. But I have some simply requirements that I can't handle:

2a) Double-click on a text-file inside the navigator, open it with the standard text-editor with spell-checking, save it and close it. How do I get the standard text-editor?

2b) Double click on an XML-file inside the navigator, open it with the XML-editor with nice design and source tabs, edit it with e.g. XSD-based code completion, save it and close it. How do I get the standard XML-editor?

Because these two questions require some more complex answers I would be thankful for any links, examples, tutorials or book proposals. I already heard of some buzzwords like common navigator framework or the interfaces iWorkspace and iProject but I need a tutorial and some examples which I have not yet found.

If you have read this post until here I will thank you for your interest and patience and I will appreciate your help.

Pete
Previous Topic:export error: Unable to find feature "org.eclipse.license" with version in range [1.0.0,1.
Next Topic:Open Perspective manually
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 06:19:36 GMT 2024