Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » EGit / JGit » Archive/package for manual installation(Please provide packages to allow manual installation of the plugin)
Archive/package for manual installation [message #721040] Wed, 31 August 2011 19:01 Go to next message
Andi Friend
Hi,
could you please provide packages to allow manual installation of the plugin? I have a network which is not connected to internet and two different operating systems and problems with the Eclipse proxy feature. Furthermore the daily Hudson/Jenkins builds are not an option, because I don't know which release it is -- So everything I tried to get the Egit plugin didn't work.

This of course also affects all other plugins -- so perhaps it would make sense to add a general feature request against eclipse.org? If someone can point me to a location where this could be addressed, I would appreciate this very much.

Thanks,
Andi
Re: Archive/package for manual installation [message #721055 is a reply to message #721040] Wed, 31 August 2011 19:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
R Shapiro is currently offline R ShapiroFriend
I had no problem using the results of the Hudson build in this way. Go to:

https://hudson.eclipse.org/hudson/job/egit/lastSuccessfulBuild/artifact/org.eclipse.egit-updatesite/target/site/

Download the zip from the link on that site, sneaker-net it to the offline host, unzip it, and add the subdirectory archive/org.eclipse.egit-updatesite/target/site as a local Eclipse archive site

Re: Archive/package for manual installation [message #721058 is a reply to message #721055] Wed, 31 August 2011 19:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Andi Friend
Hmmm -- but than it's the "lastSuccessfulBuild"/"lastStableBuild"/..., correct? I was wondering if I could grab the current official Indigo related version, because, if I got that correctly, EGit is now official part of the Indigo release with the EGit version 1.0.0. This way I would be able to say "Ok, I got Eclipse Indigo with EGit 1.0.0 and CDT version xy,..." -- this seems not possible at the moment.

Andi
Re: Archive/package for manual installation [message #721072 is a reply to message #721058] Wed, 31 August 2011 20:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You are correct, the Hudson release would be the last successful build, not the stable release. Ordinarily I can see why you would want the stable release, not a random nightly. But in this case, you really don't want egit 1.0, you're much better off with a recent nightly build of 1.1. So for now the Hudson download is a good choice.

Pretty soon 1.1 will be the stable release (September?), and at that point the problem gets harder. I don't where you can find a downloadable archive for the stable release.
Re: Archive/package for manual installation [message #721083 is a reply to message #721072] Wed, 31 August 2011 20:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Andi Friend
I don't know Hudson at all -- but perhaps it's already possible to tag a build as official build? Or Hudson could be extended to support this? This would also solve the issue with all other plugins. Would be a really nice solution.

The caveat I see: Because Hudson is for continuous integration and not for long-time storage of builds, I could imagine, that Hudson installation only have limited disk space and do not keep all builds? If this is the case: Official builds should be archived. So this might be a showstopper...
Re: Archive/package for manual installation [message #722277 is a reply to message #721040] Mon, 05 September 2011 08:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Matthias Sohn is currently offline Matthias SohnFriend
You may consider to use the p2 mirroring tool [1] to mirror EGit's p2 repository from a network which can access download.eclipse.org to some local storage. From there you should be able to bring it into your environment.

If you want to wait for the next release, 1.1 is planned to be shipped with Indigo SR1 (GA is on Sept 23rd).

[1] http://wiki.eclipse.org/Equinox_p2_Repository_Mirroring
Re: Archive/package for manual installation [message #722433 is a reply to message #722277] Mon, 05 September 2011 18:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Andi Friend
Thanks for the hint. I wasn't aware of that and give it a try.
Re: Archive/package for manual installation [message #722688 is a reply to message #722277] Tue, 06 September 2011 14:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I wasn't aware of this mirroring support either, it's an interesting feature. But I think it would still be a good idea if the stable egit releases, starting with 1.1, were kept available publicly as a downloadable zip.

One of the reasons some projects are converting to Git is specifically because it has full support for offline access, unlike SVN or even Mercurial. That means Git can be used effectively on machines that will never be on any network (for security reasons, for instance).

If these always-offline hosts want to use Eclipse, then the stable releases of egit also need to be easily accessible in a form that can be installed without net access.

Re: Archive/package for manual installation [message #722803 is a reply to message #722688] Tue, 06 September 2011 18:27 Go to previous message
Andi Friend
Yep, you're absolutely right. I would highly appreciate this.

What you say is true for other plugins as well (e.g. considering using Java and C/C++ through CDT on such a PC). So perhaps you can post the current process you're using to release an official build. I would be interested how much handwork this involves. If this is a lot, other projects will perhaps not do it because of lack of manpower. In this case (at least for eclipse.org related projects) I could try to contact the different stakeholders (Web team, Hudson maintainer, people from other projects) to find a way to automatize this (through a hudson plugin, e.g.) or reduce handwork.
Previous Topic:Why is the .git directory listed in Explorer views?
Next Topic:SOLVED - Newbie - compiling a branch
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Mar 19 11:15:39 GMT 2024