Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Modeling » TMF (Xtext) » Changelogs of xtext
Changelogs of xtext [message #720212] Tue, 30 August 2011 06:44 Go to next message
Daniel Missing name is currently offline Daniel Missing nameFriend
Hi everybody.

Xtext is an awesome product and the 2.0.1 version was released some time ago. Is there a changelog somewhere? I'd like to see what elements changed during this release. To follow the commit logs is quite hard because of the many changes.

I like the changelogs of this style:
[Added]   [xtext] New API for ...
[Improved][xtend] Xtend save doesn't require .. anymore  
[Fixed]   [xtext] Wrong behaviour of .. fixed
[Changed] [emf]   Interface name changed from .. to ... 

Cheers
Daniel
Re: Changelogs of xtext [message #720220 is a reply to message #720212] Tue, 30 August 2011 07:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Joerg Reichert is currently offline Joerg ReichertFriend
Hi Daniel,

take a look at this page: http://www.eclipse.org/Xtext/documentation/indigo/new_and_noteworthy.php

Cheers,
Joerg

--
Need professional support for Xtext and EMF?
Go to: http://xtext.itemis.com
Re: Changelogs of xtext [message #720316 is a reply to message #720220] Tue, 30 August 2011 11:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ingo Meyer is currently offline Ingo MeyerFriend
Joerg Reichert wrote on Tue, 30 August 2011 03:14
Hi Daniel,

take a look at this page: http://www.eclipse.org/Xtext/documentation/indigo/new_and_noteworthy.php

Cheers,
Joerg

Hi,

sorry to say, but I thinks every serious Xtext user should know this site, but unfortunaltely it is quite outdated and not what Daniel asks for.

I also would really love to have a current changelog after the Indigo release.
It is not a practical way to follow the Bugzilla topics, mostly because finished ones are striked through and therefor difficult to read.

A simple text file in the way Daniel described it would be fantastic for all major and minor releases.

Thanks,
Ingo
Re: Changelogs of xtext [message #720317 is a reply to message #720316] Tue, 30 August 2011 11:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Christian Dietrich is currently offline Christian DietrichFriend
HI,

As i said before (in another topic). there is bugzilla that has a search function.
Xtext is open source so if you want to create such an extended changelog feel free to
do so Wink

~Christian

Twitter : @chrdietrich
Blog : https://www.dietrich-it.de
Re: Changelogs of xtext [message #720331 is a reply to message #720317] Tue, 30 August 2011 11:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Joerg Reichert is currently offline Joerg ReichertFriend
For your interest, that's the URL for bug fixes to be included in the release in October (SR2). One can change the flags in the URL to found bugs to other releases and other components.

https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/buglist.cgi?query_format=advanced&version=unspecified&component=Xtext&target_milestone=SR2&product=TMF&classification=Modeling

At the end of the bugzilla search result there is also a CSV export button that produces an output like that:

bug_id,"bug_severity","priority","op_sys","assigned_to","bug_status","resolution","short_desc"
342875,"minor","P3","Windows 7","tmf.xtext-inbox","NEW","---","Error markers are not created for read-only files"
345373,"minor","P3","Windows XP","tmf.xtext-inbox","NEW","---","Xtend2 generates wrong statements when using instanceof on a List element"
345925,"enhancement","P3","Mac OS X","tmf.xtext-inbox","NEW","---","[xtend] validate import statements"

Joerg

--
Need professional support for Xtext and EMF?
Go to: http://xtext.itemis.com
Re: Changelogs of xtext [message #720371 is a reply to message #720331] Tue, 30 August 2011 13:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ingo Meyer is currently offline Ingo MeyerFriend
I agree that you can get all inforamtions out of Bugzilla - if you know the versions used.

But as Xtext has a very nice website I don't understand why the "New and noteworthy" are not up to date.
Will it just be used for the yearly releases or is it just because the lack of enough time?
I think this can only be done by the Xtext guys itself as an advertisment for the newest cool Xtext features and I would not underestimate this.

Anyway this is a little bit off topic now Smile
Re: Changelogs of xtext [message #720377 is a reply to message #720371] Tue, 30 August 2011 13:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Christian Dietrich is currently offline Christian DietrichFriend
Hi,

as said before: doing this is "work to do" Wink
i still think contributions would be welcome.

and 2.0.1 is/was a bug fix release and not a feature release

~Christian

Twitter : @chrdietrich
Blog : https://www.dietrich-it.de

[Updated on: Tue, 30 August 2011 13:36]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Changelogs of xtext [message #720741 is a reply to message #720377] Wed, 31 August 2011 07:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Daniel Missing name is currently offline Daniel Missing nameFriend
Hi.

Of course that would be "work to do" and that quite a lot. But I think it's worth the work. But there's an easy way you could achive the changelog for the future: Use special commit messages. You already have commit-log tags by convention ( [xtext], [xtend],..) Simply introduce a new tag: [changelog], [chlog],... and use it in combination with the desired changelog messages:

[chlog][xtext][added] Some really cool new feature
[chlog][fixed][37101] Bugzilla File title

This way you can simply generate the changelog out of your commit messages and you even get the date of the change for free Wink
Re: Changelogs of xtext [message #720752 is a reply to message #720741] Wed, 31 August 2011 08:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ed Willink is currently offline Ed WillinkFriend
Hi Daniel

Nice idea, but I think a distinguished Bugzilla comment is more
appropriate than a distinguished GIT commit.

GIT entries cannot be edited, so any later typographical/editorial
cleanup imposes merge consequences on concurrent branches.

Bugzilla entries are also not editable, but at least they're clearly
meta-data, so perhaps the last chlog wins. A Bugzilla entry can also
have attachments.

If someone produces some tooling I'd like to use it too.

Regards

Ed Willink

On 31/08/2011 08:30, Daniel wrote:
> Hi.
> Of course that would be "work to do" and that quite a lot. But I think
> it's worth the work. But there's an easy way you could achive the
> changelog for the future: Use special commit messages. You already
> have commit-log tags by convention ( [xtext], [xtend],..) Simply
> introduce a new tag: [changelog], [chlog],... and use it in
> combination with the desired changelog messages:
>
> [chlog][xtext][added] Some really cool new feature
> [chlog][fixed][37101] Bugzilla File title
> This way you can simply generate the changelog out of your commit
> messages and you even get the date of the change for free ;)
>
Re: Changelogs of xtext [message #720885 is a reply to message #720371] Wed, 31 August 2011 12:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sven Efftinge is currently offline Sven EfftingeFriend
Ingo Meyer wrote on Tue, 30 August 2011 15:26
I agree that you can get all inforamtions out of But as Xtext has a very nice website I don't understand why the "New and noteworthy" are not up to date.
Will it just be used for the yearly releases or is it just because the lack of enough time?

There are no new features in minor releases (i.e. 2.0.1). It contains bug fixes only. Therefore it's not listed on the New & Noteworthy page.

Re: Changelogs of xtext [message #720887 is a reply to message #720741] Wed, 31 August 2011 12:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Daniel wrote on Wed, 31 August 2011 09:30
Hi.
Of course that would be "work to do" and that quite a lot. But I think it's worth the work. But there's an easy way you could achive the changelog for the future: Use special commit messages. You already have commit-log tags by convention ( [xtext], [xtend],..) Simply introduce a new tag: [changelog], [chlog],... and use it in combination with the desired changelog messages:

[chlog][xtext][added] Some really cool new feature
[chlog][fixed][37101] Bugzilla File title

This way you can simply generate the changelog out of your commit messages and you even get the date of the change for free Wink

We use bugzilla for this and have a polished N&N site in addition (where each milestone has a link to the details in the bugzilla). We just haven't published this link for the last bug fix release (2.0.1).
The upcoming 2.1 release (mid-October) will be featured with an updated N&N.
Re: Changelogs of xtext [message #720902 is a reply to message #720887] Wed, 31 August 2011 13:05 Go to previous message
For completeness:

Everything that was fixed in 2.0.1 : http://goo.gl/X7Gau

Everything that has being fixed for 2.1 so far : http://goo.gl/sw3qW
Previous Topic:Custom end-of-line character, w/ default value.
Next Topic:(no subject)
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Apr 24 22:52:49 GMT 2024