Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Language IDEs » PHP Development Tools (PDT) » is eclipse pdt supported?
is eclipse pdt supported? [message #719543] Sat, 27 August 2011 17:58 Go to next message
chris  is currently offline chris Friend
I'm interested in using an IDE for my PHP development and I am now looking at using Eclipse PDT. However, I am concerned about using it due to pages like this:
www.eclipse.org/downloads/php_package.php

Is Eclipse PDT actively developed and supported, or is it recommended that one find another IDE?

Thanks!
Re: is eclipse pdt supported? [message #722778 is a reply to message #719543] Tue, 06 September 2011 17:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
don  is currently offline don Friend
Hi Chris:

Good question! I have just spent several days trying to get My Eclipse Indigo setup as a PHP development environment. I can get some pieces to work, but to do that I have had to use input from too many googles searches.

When I follow the directions from Eclipse I hit a deadend trying to install the Zend Debugger Eclipse Plug-in. From my Google results this problem has been around for at least a year and a half. Now the blame seems to be placed on Zend for it is their download site but who are we fouling - Zend makes it difficult, to sell Zend.

Eclipse apparently does not care enough about its base that wish to build a PHP development environment to call their Partner and make them perform even though I think they would have a power position in the relationship. There is a funky work-around that you can attempt - or as most of the oh so helpful eclipse folks will tell you just download the Eclipse / Zend all-in-one and welcome to Helios. Thats right there is not Indigo 'All-In-One'. I can't tell you what kind of issues you will face after you download this 'All-In-One' package I am just confident given my recent experience it will not be without challenge.

FYI I have traveled many disscussion groups in researching this issue and many have told me to go with NetBeans. I left NetBeans a few years ago because they pretty much abandoned web development and I don't see going back for PHP.

Good Luck,
Don
Re: is eclipse pdt supported? [message #728330 is a reply to message #719543] Fri, 23 September 2011 02:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
shaun.purvis is currently offline shaun.purvisFriend
I don't have enough experience with Indigo to know how well it works with PDT but I would second the recommendation for the all-one-one with Helios Have been using it for some time now with success given that you upgrade it. By no means, not without issues, but no more than any other IDE. In my case I run on a Windows O/S and use XDebug.

I recently installed Indigo+PDT on a Mac, and so far so good, but haven't started debugging on that platform.
Re: is eclipse pdt supported? [message #752641 is a reply to message #728330] Wed, 26 October 2011 13:15 Go to previous message
abhijack is currently offline abhijackFriend
my first impression is that it has more support than others..
Previous Topic:GO VOTE for this ->>Bug 178679 - [CodeFolding] Add extra folding (if, while, for....) to the e
Next Topic:How to rename/refactor a variable in Eclipse PDT like in Netbeans
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 17:43:24 GMT 2024