Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Platform - User Assistance (UA) » Embedding Images into Cheat Sheets(Click "Run" (and show the icon for Run))
Embedding Images into Cheat Sheets [message #718869] Thu, 25 August 2011 14:28 Go to next message
Rich Payton is currently offline Rich PaytonFriend
As I write cheat sheets I find that I have to describe which buttons to push. I would really like to say, "Click the Run button" and then show the Run button right after the sentence within the cheat sheet.

I have found a tutorial by Kaesar Alnijres on how to embed images into cheat sheets but I am looking for something more simple (if it exists).

Here is the tutorial: http://www.java-javafx.com/2011/04/adding-images-or-any-other-resources-to.html

If anyone has found an easier method please advise. Thanks!

I have posted the link above in response to a question in the new comers forum, but I thought this would be a better place for this post.
Re: Embedding Images into Cheat Sheets [message #719069 is a reply to message #718869] Fri, 26 August 2011 00:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chris Goldthorpe is currently offline Chris GoldthorpeFriend
I can't give you better instructions than the ones in that tutorial. Adding images to cheat sheets is not easy, there is an enhancement request open to make this easier but it is not scheduled for Eclipse 3.8.
Re: Embedding Images into Cheat Sheets [message #719226 is a reply to message #719069] Fri, 26 August 2011 13:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rich Payton is currently offline Rich PaytonFriend
Thanks, Chris. Can you perhaps clarify the tutorial. Here are my questions:

1. Do I add the yellow highlighted text exactly? If not, how do I know what needs to be altered?
2. How do I access the image repository and add images to it?
3. Do I register the extension point in the same place as the cheat sheets themselves? (We don't use plugin.xml. For some reason we call it fragment.xml and it has many different types of tags.)

I posted these same questions as a comment to the article but I'm not sure if I'll get an answer. I found that the tutorial required some familiarity that I don't have. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

UPDATE:

I DID get a quick answer! Here is what he said:

Quote:
Hello,
Here's a very quick answer. I hope you find it useful.

Answer 1, replace the body of createControl(Composite composite) method, of your class ItemExtensionHandler (or any other name) that extends AbstractItemExtensionElement with the one provided in the tutor. Other codes with yellow, are added for you by Eclipse.

Answer 2. I have just added this post
http://www.java-javafx.com/2011/08/use-custom-images-in-eclipse-plug-ins.html

Answer 3. Sorry, I didn't understand well your question, anyway plugin.xml, is the plug-in descriptor and extensions must be defined there

Answer 4. In the editor "Add Step" will add an in the source code, you can then use the attribute defined with the item extension in "ItemAttribute" (see the tutor)

Hoping that i was clear enough

[Updated on: Fri, 26 August 2011 13:17]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Embedding Images into Cheat Sheets [message #720111 is a reply to message #719226] Mon, 29 August 2011 22:50 Go to previous message
Chris Goldthorpe is currently offline Chris GoldthorpeFriend
I haven't followed the tutorial myself, but based on what I know about cheat sheets it looks as though it would work - note that when the tutorial talks about adding an extension point it is actually adding an extension. Adding an extension to the extension point org.eclipse.ui.cheatsheets.cheatSheetItemExtension is as far as I know the only way to add your own image although it is far from trivial.
Previous Topic:Infocenter and lucene bug
Next Topic:Context sensitive help flashes no topic found, then finds topic
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Mar 19 03:25:05 GMT 2024