Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Newcomers » Newcomers » Is Eclipse what I'm looking for?(Help deciding if Eclipse is right for me)
Is Eclipse what I'm looking for? [message #718213] Tue, 23 August 2011 15:57 Go to next message
Jeremy  is currently offline Jeremy Friend
Hello. I've been tasked by my employer to find out what is available to aid in the development of our company's application suite. What we are looking to accomplish is to create a single GUI application which will serve as the launching point for a suite of discrete applications which have the ability to share information (if required) and display within a single windowed environment (think Microsoft Office).

I use the Eclipse IDE extensively for my Java development and only recently came to realize that it (the IDE) was just an example of a plug-in built to run on top of the Eclipse platform; I've always assumed Eclipse and the IDE were one and the same. So, after researching the subject, my initial impression is that I can accomplish what I've described by using Eclipse as my platform and developing the individual applications as plug-ins. Is this correct?

In pursuing the answer I've come across RCP being described as the means of creating rich desktop applications. Does RCP lend itself to the "application suite" I've described or is it designed a "single" app solution? Are there other APIs I need to concern myself with?

I feel like I'm on the right track but I've yet to find the definitive answer so any help you guys can provide is greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
(no subject) [message #718232 is a reply to message #718213] Tue, 23 August 2011 16:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ed Merks is currently offline Ed MerksFriend
<html>
<head>
<meta content="text/html; charset=UTF-8" http-equiv="Content-Type">
</head>
<body bgcolor="#FFFFFF" text="#000000">
Jeremy,<br>
<br>
Yes you can definitely use the Eclipse platform to build any type of
integrated software suite.  Have you looked at:<a
href="http://marketplace.eclipse.org/"><br>
</a>
<blockquote><a href="http://marketplace.eclipse.org/">http://marketplace.eclipse.org/</a><br>
</blockquote>
<br>
You might also be interested in data integration in addition to UI
integration:<br>
<blockquote><a target="_out"
href="http://www.eclipse.org/articles/Article-EMF-goes-RCP/rcp.html">Tutorial:
Generating a Rich Client Platform (RCP) Application Using EMF</a><br>
</blockquote>
Good luck with your task.<br>
<br>
<br>
On 23/08/2011 8:57 AM, Jeremy wrote:
<blockquote cite="mid:j30i1n$pa$1@news.eclipse.org" type="cite">Hello.
I've been tasked by my employer to find out what is available to
aid in the development of our company's application suite. What we
are looking to accomplish is to create a single GUI application
which will serve as the launching point for a suite of discrete
applications which have the ability to share information (if
required) and display within a single windowed environment (think
Microsoft Office).
<br>
<br>
I use the Eclipse IDE extensively for my Java development and only
recently came to realize that it (the IDE) was just an example of
a plug-in built to run on top of the Eclipse platform; I've always
assumed Eclipse and the IDE were one and the same. So, after
researching the subject, my initial impression is that I can
accomplish what I've described by using Eclipse as my platform and
developing the individual applications as plug-ins. Is this
correct?
<br>
<br>
In pursuing the answer I've come across RCP being described as the
means of creating rich desktop applications. Does RCP lend itself
to the "application suite" I've described or is it designed a
"single" app solution? Are there other APIs I need to concern
myself with?
<br>
<br>
I feel like I'm on the right track but I've yet to find the
definitive answer so any help you guys can provide is greatly
appreciated.
<br>
<br>
Thanks.
<br>
</blockquote>
</body>
</html>

Ed Merks
Professional Support: https://www.macromodeling.com/
Re: (no subject) [message #718476 is a reply to message #718232] Wed, 24 August 2011 13:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jeremy  is currently offline Jeremy Friend
Hi Ed. Thanks for the reply. Pretty much confirmed what I thought to be true but couldn't be sure. I'll be sure to check out the links you sent.
(no subject) [message #718805 is a reply to message #718213] Thu, 25 August 2011 11:35 Go to previous message
John McCabe is currently offline John McCabeFriend
On Tue, 23 Aug 2011 11:57:57 -0400, Jeremy
<forums-noreply@eclipse.org> wrote:

>Hello. I've been tasked by my employer to find out what is available to aid in the development of our company's application suite. What we are looking to accomplish is to create a single GUI application which will serve as the launching point for a suite of discrete applications which have the ability to share information (if required) and display within a single windowed environment (think Microsoft Office).
>
>I use the Eclipse IDE extensively for my Java development and only recently came to realize that it (the IDE) was just an example of a plug-in built to run on top of the Eclipse platform; I've always assumed Eclipse and the IDE were one and the same. So, after researching the subject, my initial impression is that I can accomplish what I've described by using Eclipse as my platform and developing the individual applications as plug-ins. Is this correct?
>
>In pursuing the answer I've come across RCP being described as the means of creating rich desktop applications. Does RCP lend itself to the "application suite" I've described or is it designed a "single" app solution? Are there other APIs I need to concern myself with?
>
>I feel like I'm on the right track but I've yet to find the definitive answer so any help you guys can provide is greatly appreciated.

From your description I would say it sounds like Eclipse RCP is
certainly one way to achieve what you're trying to do. Another option
is the Netbeans Platform which has similar features.

I've been looking at both of these recently as a means of trying to
achieve a "unified" application that will integrate all the disparate
apps we use for testing our products here but, to be honest, I haven't
got very far in to them.

Hope this helps.
John
Previous Topic:[SOLVED] I can't get Eclipse Indigo the download page gives me Helios
Next Topic:How to make eclipse launch a program in the eclipse workbench from the command line?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 14:14:24 GMT 2024