Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » WindowBuilder » A GUI with dynamically changeable "inner view" of other components.
A GUI with dynamically changeable "inner view" of other components. [message #718092] Tue, 23 August 2011 08:33 Go to next message
Andreas  is currently offline Andreas Friend
Hi guys.

I'm pretty new to GUI programming in general, and specifically to using WindowBuilder. I'm currently working on a database client, and was considering a layout as follows...

Basically, one should be able to view different table-entries in a component. However, as the type of table that the current entry belongs to will vary, so will the different fields for that entry.

For example, a user-table entry will have a name and a telephone number, etc. Whereas a item-table entry will have specifications for the item, like serial number and other stuff.

Now, I am considering a layout with for example a "main" JScrollPane that is used to view the table entries, but depending on what kind of entry is selected, I would like the JScrollPane to change its viewport-settings (JScrollPane.setViewportView(Component)) to different JPanels. This is ofcourse so that I can populate the various JPanels with the corrent fields depending on what kind of table the entry is selected from.

So I was wondering if you guys have any tips for how to structure a GUI like this, does it make sense to use a JScrollPane in the main application-window, or would you recommend something else? What other components are there that you can dynamically change the viewportview for?

Also, is JPanel what you would recommend to design the different table-entry-views with?

Any other advice is also greatly appreciated, this is my first bigger GUI application and I feel like I have a lot of questions in my head Smile

// Andreas

[Updated on: Tue, 23 August 2011 08:34]

Report message to a moderator

Re: A GUI with dynamically changeable "inner view" of other components. [message #718159 is a reply to message #718092] Tue, 23 August 2011 12:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Konstantin Scheglov is currently offline Konstantin ScheglovFriend
Designing and using separate JPanels for each type of entries sounds good from WindowBuilder point of view.
However general questions about application development should be asked somewhere in specialized forums, where you will get bigger audience and better answers.

Konstantin Scheglov,
Google, Inc.
Re: A GUI with dynamically changeable "inner view" of other components. [message #718422 is a reply to message #718159] Wed, 24 August 2011 09:16 Go to previous message
Andreas  is currently offline Andreas Friend
Ok thanks for the input

// Andreas
Previous Topic:Images from component?
Next Topic:JFrame Size
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 10:17:55 GMT 2024