Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Newcomers » Newcomers » Extensible plugin - how to ?(How to write plugin that is extensible for other plugins ?)
Extensible plugin - how to ? [message #717988] Mon, 22 August 2011 23:33 Go to next message
Piotr  aj?czkowski is currently offline Piotr aj?czkowskiFriend

Hi !

First of all, sorry for my poor english.

I would like to write an Eclipse plugin - a simple wizard that has on one of the pages the "list" (for example) of available options. These options are provided by additional plugins that are installed. User chooses one of those options, clicks Next and retrieves page generated by one of those additional plugins (dependent on which option was chosen).

For example:
I have a plugin that provides the "transformation" wizard when you can choose what you want to convert and then select the transformation type. Available types of transformations are provided by additional plugins -> for example: CSV->XML, CSV->other CSV, etc.

How to create this "main" wizard plugin that it will have the "list" of plugins that provides those "transformations" (from example above) and how to create those "specyfic transformation" plugins ? Should I create my own extension point ? If yes, how to get all plugins that are extending it and are installed in my Eclipse instanse ?

Thanks for response Smile

Greetings.

Piotr Zajączkowski
Re: Extensible plugin - how to ? [message #718105 is a reply to message #717988] Tue, 23 August 2011 09:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
saurav sarkar is currently offline saurav sarkarFriend
Hi Piotr,

Well yes it would be better if the main plug-in contains the main wizard and the options UI.
An extension point must be exposed by this options UI such that the contributors can contribute their
types.It is same like that of the Shows View option what we have in Eclipse UI.Any View which you contribute
comes under the Show Views UI.

cheers,
Saurav

Re: Extensible plugin - how to ? [message #718165 is a reply to message #718105] Tue, 23 August 2011 13:19 Go to previous message
Piotr  aj?czkowski is currently offline Piotr aj?czkowskiFriend

Thanks for your reply, Saurav.

Yes, I think that your example shows my problem. Next problem is that I don't know how to check how this is implemented in Eclipse - it's neccessary for me to create such an option in my own plugin. Could you help me with that ?
I already know that I must provide my own extension point (I'll google how to do this), but how to get all plugins that extendes this extension point (in my example: provides transformations, in yours: provides views) ? Or this will be described in the article about creating own extension points ? Wink

Greetings,

Piotr.
Previous Topic:complete steps to develop plugin from existing jars
Next Topic:Updating WSDL in web service client project
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 09:48:27 GMT 2024