Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Modeling » TMF (Xtext) » problem with deploying plugin developed by xtext(Could not open the editor: No editor descriptor for id org.ats_lang.AnairiatsDats)
problem with deploying plugin developed by xtext [message #714703] Thu, 11 August 2011 10:16 Go to next message
alex.ren2006 is currently offline alex.ren2006Friend
Dear all,

I am currently working on building an IDE for ATS (www.ats-lang.org). I have difficulty in deploying the plugin I've developed so far.

I use the current Xtext 2.0 with a "Complete Eclipse Indigo Distribution" downloaded from xtext.itemis.com. I created the Xtext project and wrote the code for ATS language. I ran the mwe2 file and then ran the project as "Eclipse Application". I got a new eclipse which has the support for ATS. Everything is fine.

Then I exported the project as "Deployable plug-ins and fragments" and I copied the generated jar file into the dropins folder of the eclipse I used for developing the plugin. I started a new instance of eclipse and choose folder "runtime-EclipseApplication" as the workspace. In the new instance of eclipse I got the error message "Could not open the editor: No editor descriptor for id org.ats_lang.AnairiatsDats". Did I miss anything? Does it have anything to do with the plugin.xml and plugin.xml_gen? I am a newbie to eclipse and xtext. I am not sure what these two files are for. Any advice is highly appreciated.

BTW, the problem occurrs only on my debian system. I did the same thing on Windows XP. There is no problem at all.

I have received lots of help from people here, which made it possible for a beginner like me to build an editor for a serious language like ATS. I need to learn more about Xtext so that I can improve the editor. But I really want to release the first version to the community of ATS to receive some feed back. If the plugin problem I post now is solved, is it enough that I just release the exported jar file and ask users to put it into the "dropin" folder of their eclipse? Do they have to use the same "Complete Eclipse Indigo Distribution" I am using now? Thanks a lot for your help all the time.

Re: problem with deploying plugin developed by xtext [message #714782 is a reply to message #714703] Thu, 11 August 2011 13:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Alexander Nittka is currently offline Alexander NittkaFriend
Hi,

as a partial answer:
1) The plugin.xml is nothing Xtext specific.
2) Providing your DSL-jars is not enough as they only contain the code specific to your DSL but the Xtext framework is needed as well. Ideally you would provide an update site containing your code and pointing the the itemis Xtext update sitehttp://download.itemis.com/updates/releases/ which is always a good starting point for getting Xtext running an an existing eclipse

I have no hints regarding the dropins issue.

Alex

Need training, onsite consulting or any other kind of help for Xtext?
Go visit http://xtext.itemis.com or send a mail to xtext@itemis.de
Re: problem with deploying plugin developed by xtext [message #714797 is a reply to message #714782] Thu, 11 August 2011 14:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Henrik Lindberg is currently offline Henrik LindbergFriend
It's simple - don't use dropins.
The main problem is when there is a problem you don't know what is wrong
(what is missing, in conflict etc.).

Publish your things as a p2 repository and install from that.

- henrik

On 8/11/11 3:40 PM, Alexander Nittka wrote:
> Hi,
>
> as a partial answer:
> 1) The plugin.xml is nothing Xtext specific. 2) Providing your DSL-jars
> is not enough as they only contain the code specific to your DSL but the
> Xtext framework is needed as well. Ideally you would provide an update
> site containing your code and pointing the the itemis Xtext update
> sitehttp://download.itemis.com/updates/releases/ which is always a good
> starting point for getting Xtext running an an existing eclipse
>
> I have no hints regarding the dropins issue.
>
> Alex
Re: problem with deploying plugin developed by xtext [message #714817 is a reply to message #714782] Thu, 11 August 2011 14:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thank you for your answer. The Xtext framework has been taken into consideration. That's why my test is to put the jar file into the "dropins" folder of the eclipse I used to develop the plugin for my DSL. I assume such eclipse should have the xtext framework.

No useful error message is a problem. I shall try "p2 repository" after I learn what it is.
Re: problem with deploying plugin developed by xtext [message #717098 is a reply to message #714817] Fri, 19 August 2011 10:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Today, I tried using p2. On Windows XP, everything goes smoothly. On debian, I got some errors. What I did goes as follows.
I created a feature project which includes all the plugins for my dsl developed using Xtext. Then I exported the feature project as a deployable feature into an Archive file. Later, I added the Archive file as a repository and installed the feature. On linux I got the following error message
============================
An error occurred while collecting items to be installed
session context was:(profile=SDKProfile, phase=org.eclipse.equinox.internal.p2.engine.phases.Collect, operand=, action=).
Unable to write to repository: file:/home/skomp/Desktop/distros/indigo-final/tmp/eclipse.
Failed to create directory /home/skomp/Desktop/distros/indigo-final/tmp/eclipse/plugins.
Unable to write to repository: file:/home/skomp/Desktop/distros/indigo-final/tmp/eclipse.
Failed to create directory /home/skomp/Desktop/distros/indigo-final/tmp/eclipse/plugins.
Failed to create directory /home/skomp/Desktop/distros/indigo-final/tmp/eclipse/features/org.xtext.example.mydslfeature_1.0.0.201108191345.

==========================================
The eclipse (Eclipse Xtext 2.0.0 Distribution (Indigo)) I am using now is downloaded from "http://xtext.itemis.com/". Did anyone meet this kind of problem before?
Re: problem with deploying plugin developed by xtext [message #717112 is a reply to message #717098] Fri, 19 August 2011 10:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
On debian again, this time I use another eclipse (Eclipse SDK Version: 3.5.2) without pre-installed Xtext. I installed Xtext on it by the site "http://download.eclipse.org/modeling/tmf/updates/releases/", then created project for my dsl, then created feature project and exported it and in the end installed the exported feature into the same eclipse. Basically I did the same thing as before. But this time it works. Maybe the problem is just caused by the eclipse (Eclipse Xtext 2.0.0 Distribution (Indigo)) released by itemis.
Re: problem with deploying plugin developed by xtext [message #717128 is a reply to message #717112] Fri, 19 August 2011 11:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Christian Dietrich is currently offline Christian DietrichFriend
Hi, are you able to create the dirs it is complaining about manually. Maybe you have some flags missing respectively the dir is read-only. Regards Christian

Twitter : @chrdietrich
Blog : https://www.dietrich-it.de
Re: problem with deploying plugin developed by xtext [message #717138 is a reply to message #717098] Fri, 19 August 2011 10:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Christian Dietrich is currently offline Christian DietrichFriend
Hi, are you able to create the dirs it is complaining about manually.
Maybe you have some flags missing respectively the dir is read-only.
Regards Christian

Twitter : @chrdietrich
Blog : https://www.dietrich-it.de
Re: problem with deploying plugin developed by xtext [message #717142 is a reply to message #717138] Fri, 19 August 2011 12:15 Go to previous message
===========

===========

My account is not "skomp" at all. I have no idea where "skomp" comes from. And I don't think "skomp" has anything to do with my machine. Is it possible that it actually came from the environment of the developer of itemis?
Previous Topic:Unable to incorporate default IValueConverters
Next Topic:Xcore, xbase and EObject literals
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 18:45:54 GMT 2024