Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » EGit / JGit » better reset(generalizing egit support for reset)
better reset [message #696335] Wed, 13 July 2011 18:04 Go to next message
R Shapiro is currently offline R ShapiroFriend
Several times recently I found myself wanting to reset to HEAD^ or similar relative references. I've also wanted at least once to reset to a specific SHA. From what I can see the Reset command in egit doesn't support either of these.

Similarly, I can't reset to an entry in the "Git Reflog" view (that would really be handy), or from a window showing a commit (ditto).

How hard would it be to add some of these features?
Re: better reset [message #696433 is a reply to message #696335] Thu, 14 July 2011 00:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chris Aniszczyk is currently offline Chris AniszczykFriend
File a bug, your ideas sound fine.

https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/enter_bug.cgi?product=EGit&rep_platform=All&op_sys=All
Re: better reset [message #696537 is a reply to message #696335] Thu, 14 July 2011 08:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dariusz Luksza is currently offline Dariusz LukszaFriend

Using History view you can reset on any given commit. Just choose "Reset" and then reset type from context menu on commit you want to reset to.
Re: better reset [message #714391 is a reply to message #696537] Wed, 10 August 2011 13:17 Go to previous message
I hadn't examined all the operations that are available on the right-click menu of items in the History view. This is a sensible place to include 'reset' and the like.

But it shouldn't be the only place. In particular I still think this and all the other per-commit operations should be available in commit windows, and maybe also from the reflog view. The History view is not generally displaying the full repository history, especially for repositories that include more than one Eclipse project. The reflogs are always there, and if I'm about to reset to a commit, I probably want to see all the details in its own window anyway.

Surely this is a very easy enhancement?

(no subject) [message #714415 is a reply to message #696537] Wed, 10 August 2011 13:17 Go to previous message
I hadn't examined all the operations that are available on the right-click menu of items in the History view. This is a sensible place to include 'reset' and the like.

But it shouldn't be the only place. In particular I still think this and all the other per-commit operations should be available in commit windows, and maybe also from the reflog view. The History view is not generally displaying the full repository history, especially for repositories that include more than one Eclipse project. The reflogs are always there, and if I'm about to reset to a commit, I probably want to see all the details in its own window anyway.

Surely this is a very easy enhancement?
Previous Topic:[JGit] How to checkout using SHA-1
Next Topic:copy SHA to clipboard
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Mar 19 10:00:01 GMT 2024