Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Riena » Riena on the move ..... to Git
Riena on the move ..... to Git [message #693293] Wed, 06 July 2011 07:56
Christian Campo is currently offline Christian CampoFriend
Hi everyone interested in Riena (committer, contributors etc.)

it seems that these days after Indigo is finished, a lot of Eclipse projects are making the move to Git. Most notable
the Eclipse platform, Equinox, CDT and many others.

We had a voting in the Riena mailing list about this back in spring, where some committers raised concerns about the
quality of the EGit Plugin. A lot of verbal discussion happened (which was obviously not public) since then which I
like to summarize from my POV.

I think we can all agree on that EGit made a major step forward in 1.0. Its still not perfect and has not all the many
features that Git has but it contains all the basic ingredients to maintain code.

So we are currently making preparations to make the move as well. One of these preparations is doing an internal
workshop to train us a little in the handling of Git and decide on some rules which way to drive the Git "dragon". That
training will be end of July and will be done among most of the Riena committers and then we should be good to go.

(Its still time to speak up if you are uncomfortable with this move. I would then of course ask that you explain why we
cant do something that other large projects can apparently do :-) )

I will open a bug against the webmasters later this month to ask for a move of the code base.

This is also a good time to discuss the partitioning of the Riena Git repo. It would obviously be a no brainer to put
everything in one repo. If we split stuff we could split core and samples but I personnaly dont . They are already in
different features and could stay in one Git repo.

Whether we like to put in the tooling (Riena toolbox) into a separate Git Repo is up on us. I am undecided on this one
currently.....

Any feedback, comments is welcome of course.

(This is cross-posted to newsgroup and mailing list, I can discuss in both places but I expect the most feedback in the
committer mailing list, since its mostly addressed at the committer of Riena)

christian campo
Previous Topic:Riena on RAP
Next Topic:JavaMagazin 8.2011 with article mentioning Riena
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 23:03:03 GMT 2024