Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » EGit / JGit » key bindings conflct with Java development(some egit key bindings conflct with long-standing Java bindings)
key bindings conflct with Java development [message #689888] Tue, 28 June 2011 14:43 Go to next message
R Shapiro is currently offline R ShapiroFriend
Three of the egit bindings are in conflict with Java refactoring bindings. Since they conflict, neither works. And since key bindings are workspace-specific, every new workspace has to have its Key preferences adjusted. It's getting to be a nuisance.

The conflicts are:

Inline (Java) v Ignore (egit)
Change Method Signature (Java) v Commit (egit)
Extract Method (Java) v Merge (egit)

Like most serious Java developers, I use the Java refactoring keys every day and have done for many years. So I would recommend changing the egit bindings.

Or they could be dropped altogether. Personally I very rarely need Ignore and only occasionally need Merge. The right-click menu seems fine for these (or add a toolbar item for Merge). Of course I use Commit frequently. But Commit is already available through a toolbar mouse-click. And in any case my sense is that most developers want to review changes before committing, which the key binding, like the toolbar item, doesn't support. The Git Staging view handles commit reviewing very nicely.

Re: key bindings conflct with Java development [message #692403 is a reply to message #689888] Mon, 04 July 2011 11:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Matthias Sohn is currently offline Matthias SohnFriend
The key binding conflicts were fixed with http://egit.eclipse.org/r/#change,3811
Try the latest nightly from http://download.eclipse.org/egit/updates-nightly
Re: key bindings conflct with Java development [message #692473 is a reply to message #692403] Mon, 04 July 2011 14:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Excellent, thanks. But this change appears not to have made it into the current nightly 1.1.0.201106300813, at least not for my development platform (Mac OSX). Is that as expected?

I'll update again tomorrow and see what happens.
Re: key bindings conflct with Java development [message #692607 is a reply to message #692473] Mon, 04 July 2011 20:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Manuel Doninger is currently offline Manuel DoningerFriend
Yeah, there seems to be a problem with the Eclipse Hudson instance. The EGit job is stuck since 1st July.
Re: key bindings conflct with Java development [message #692894 is a reply to message #692607] Tue, 05 July 2011 12:30 Go to previous message
Keybindings look good with last night's build.

One last question. The checkin message for your fix says "The merge command is also available in the Git toolbar." Was that change supposed to be part of this commit? If so, it doesn't seem to have made it. Not a big deal either way, it's easy enough to pick 'merge' from the right-click menu, I just wanted to mention it
Previous Topic:[JGIT] How to get started
Next Topic:Performance of label decorations
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Mar 19 03:12:14 GMT 2024