Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Language IDEs » C / C++ IDE (CDT) » header and source files?(header file source file noninteraction)
header and source files? [message #689790] Tue, 28 June 2011 11:19 Go to next message
Kristinn  is currently offline Kristinn Friend
Hello, great CDT gurus.

I humbly come here requesting help with a problem I´ve been having and having scanned through the forums havent found a solution to yet (or maybe I am too dense to spot it).

Let us consider the following scenario.
I have foo.h and foo.c files. foo.h contains the prototype for "void HungFoo(int n);" and its code is in the .c file. Now I include foo.h in my main.cpp file and try to use the HungFoo function. When I build the project I am greeted with a "undefined reference to 'HungFoo'" error. Is there a fix to this? Or does eclipse just not support indirect referencing like this between a .h and .c (or .cpp) file?

I used this quite a lot in visual c++ which makes me wonder if this is a missing functionality or if I missed a step somewhere?
Re: header and source files? [message #690284 is a reply to message #689790] Wed, 29 June 2011 10:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Axel Mueller is currently offline Axel MuellerFriend
Looks like foo.c is not linked against main.cpp. What kind of project did you setup in Eclipse?

Before you ask
- search this forum
- see the FAQ http://wiki.eclipse.org/CDT/User/FAQ
- google
Re: header and source files? [message #690897 is a reply to message #690284] Thu, 30 June 2011 11:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I started a c++ project, how would I go about linking the foo.c to main.c?
Re: header and source files? [message #690903 is a reply to message #690897] Thu, 30 June 2011 11:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Tought it might be useful adding the actual compiler/linker output from my current project, obviously its not a foo.something type project Smile :
Quote:

Building target: FunkOS_Test.elf
Invoking: AVR C++ Linker
avr-gcc --cref -s -Os -o "FunkOS_Test.elf" ./driver.o ./heap.o ./kernelswi.o ./kerneltimer.o ./kernelwdt.o ./main.o ./message.o ./mutex.o ./semaphore.o ./task.o ./taskport.o ./timer.o ./watchdog.o -lArduinoCore -lm -Wl,-Map,FunkOS_Test.map,--cref -L"C:\Users\kristinnes\workspace\ArduinoCore\Release" -mmcu=atmega328p
./main.o: In function `MyTask(MY_TASK_STRUCT*)':
../main.cpp:85: undefined reference to `Task_Sleep(unsigned short)'
./main.o: In function `main':
../main.cpp:44: undefined reference to `Task_Init()'
../main.cpp:52: undefined reference to `Task_CreateTask(Task_Struct*, char*, unsigned char*, unsigned short, unsigned char, void (*)(void*))'
../main.cpp:60: undefined reference to `Task_CreateTask(Task_Struct*, char*, unsigned char*, unsigned short, unsigned char, void (*)(void*))'
../main.cpp:62: undefined reference to `Task_Add(Task_Struct*)'
../main.cpp:63: undefined reference to `Task_Add(Task_Struct*)'
../main.cpp:65: undefined reference to `Task_Start(Task_Struct*)'
../main.cpp:66: undefined reference to `Task_Start(Task_Struct*)'
../main.cpp:68: undefined reference to `Task_StartTasks()'
make: *** [FunkOS_Test.elf] Error 1

Re: header and source files? [message #690983 is a reply to message #690903] Thu, 30 June 2011 13:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ok update.. The code compiles but only if I change the ending of main.cpp to main.c Razz I did start this as a c++ project.. what am I doing wrong? I´d like to use c++ code to work with this.
Re: header and source files? [message #690997 is a reply to message #690983] Thu, 30 June 2011 14:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I am an idiot. I know the problem Smile No need pointing out he obvious, hehe
Re: header and source files? [message #757562 is a reply to message #690997] Sat, 19 November 2011 08:57 Go to previous message
a11649635 is currently offline a11649635Friend
Can you please "point out the obvious" to the reset of us?
I think I'm experiencing the same problem as you (cpp files with .h files and undefined reference)
thanks
Previous Topic:problems with linking libraries
Next Topic:Remote connection closed after "list-thread-groups"
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Apr 20 12:52:24 GMT 2024