Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » EGit / JGit » eGit push going to refs/for/master instead of refs/head/master?(this appears to be the default behavior)
eGit push going to refs/for/master instead of refs/head/master? [message #676373] Sat, 04 June 2011 01:05
sneakyimp Mising name is currently offline sneakyimp Mising nameFriend
I installed eGit and then used File->import to import code from my core repository via ssh (it is hosted remotely). I chose to create a new eclipse project for the code ("new PHP project") and this seems to work fine.

I then opened a file (which was fetched from the repos) in my new PHP project, made a change, and performed a commit. I added a comment and then right-clicked the root folder of my new PHP project and selected TEAM -> PUSH TO UPSTREAM.

The first time I tried this, the push operation timed out (and it was not possible to cancel it either) because the push uri assumed port 29418 even though I had specified port 22 when importing the code in the first place. That's problem #1.

The other problem is that the default refSpec appears to be HEAD:refs/for/master. what is the "for" path for? Forgive me, but I'm not even sure what the refSpec is for.

the bottom line is that my commit/push does effect my repository in that directories like these are created:
./refs/for
./refs/for/master

however, when i type "git log" these new commits just don't show up anywhere. I can see the "for" reference with this command:
prompt:/home/dev-core$ git show-ref
73faf23e203ca7b3d31d09814d06346aa62b905e refs/for/master
f523ee31367181cb9b445069754156462044a723 refs/heads/master

Just wondering why the default behavior of eGit is not to write to the head repository in my core?
Previous Topic:Rebase with dirty working tree shouldn't execute.
Next Topic:EGit + Jira plugin commit message
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Mar 19 11:02:08 GMT 2024