Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Newcomers » Newcomers » Eclipse runs as one user, but not another
Eclipse runs as one user, but not another [message #674059] Wed, 25 May 2011 17:07 Go to next message
Adrian Bowyer is currently offline Adrian BowyerFriend
I've just upgraded to Ubuntu 11.04 and re-installed Eclipse (Eclipse SDK, Version: 3.5.2, Build id: M20100211-1343).

But when I try to run it I get the dreaded "workspace in use or cannot be created" error.

So I moved my ~/workspace to ~/workspace-old and re-ran Eclipse so it would create a
new ~/workspace.

Same result. But it did create the new ~/workspace before failing (and leaving it there)! This is particularly frustrating, as it obviously can write to the directory that it claims not to be able to access.

Anyway.

So I deleted the new ~/workspace and also ~/.eclipse and re-ran it so it would re-create both.

Same result.

However, Eclipse runs fine as the super-user, creating a /root/workspace and running with no problems. Though it does give the message:

W: Cannot inject update-sites, cannot find the correct config.

Also as the super-user it can access my own original workspace (which allows me to get on with work, albeit rather dangerously).

I have write permission on my own home directory, so please can anyone tell me why I can't run Eclipse as me, and have to be the super-user to do so?

Re: Eclipse runs as one user, but not another [message #674096 is a reply to message #674059] Wed, 25 May 2011 20:02 Go to previous message
Adrian Bowyer is currently offline Adrian BowyerFriend
By the way, I did do a

ps -ael | grep eclipse

to make sure it was the only one running, of course.
Previous Topic:Workspace and Project Bird's Nest
Next Topic:Simple app for Win CE
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 04:37:15 GMT 2024