Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Remote Application Platform (RAP) » Using Spring Roo with RAP(Trying to use a Spring Roo generated project and use it for persistence in an RAP application.)
Using Spring Roo with RAP [message #673581] Tue, 24 May 2011 07:50 Go to next message
Lawrence G is currently offline Lawrence GFriend
I've created an RAP application and a separate Spring Roo project, with persistence, Selenium test suite, and web controller layer. I'd like to use the Roo project without removing Roo at this time, and have the RAP app use the Roo project for all of its persistence/JPA tasks. I've got my RAP app properly referencing the Roo project, but cannot figure out how to get both running in a development environment and ultimately deploy them. The Roo project runs on Tomcat or Spring Server now (in STS or standard Eclipse), but I'm trying to figure out how to get it running concurrently with RAP, and have RAP make JPA calls to it. I'm an experienced RCP developer, but a noob with getting RAP apps running in a container. Are there materials out there to get one started here? Pretty extensive web search has yielded just one person trying to do a similar fusion of projects, but no answers to him.

Just trying to figure out how to put these pieces together.

Thanks in advance for any help anyone can give...
Re: Using Spring Roo with RAP [message #673927 is a reply to message #673581] Wed, 25 May 2011 07:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Frank Appel is currently offline Frank AppelFriend
Lawrence,

I'm not familiar with Spring Roo and I don't no if anybody of the other RAP committers is. So given your problem my idea of getting both worlds (Roo and RAP) together would be to have a look at the Eclipse Virgo project. I'm not too familiar with Virgo either, but as it brings together Spring and OSGi it should be possible to solve your request. You should be able to provide access to the Spring beans you need in your RAP application via OSGi services. Furthermore it should provide a perfect runtime environment.

Hope that helps.
Frank
Re: Using Spring Roo with RAP [message #674444 is a reply to message #673927] Thu, 26 May 2011 23:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks for the suggestion, Frank--I'll check it out. I posted the same question on the Spring Roo forum and have only located one other person who has searched for the same answer. Seems like a great marriage of two technologies, however--use Spring Roo to quickly create and maintain the persistence layer, and access from an Eclipse RAP application. I'm trying to do a very small proof of concept now to demonstrate--I'll use it on many projects if I can just get it working.

Thanks again.

Lawrence
Re: Using Spring Roo with RAP [message #785385 is a reply to message #674444] Sat, 28 January 2012 23:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ronald So is currently offline Ronald SoFriend
Lawrence,

Just curious. How did your investigation go about integrating RAP with Spring ROO?

Thanks,
Ronald
Re: Using Spring Roo with RAP [message #785388 is a reply to message #674444] Sat, 28 January 2012 23:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ronald So is currently offline Ronald SoFriend
Lawrence,

Just curious. How did your investigation go about integrating RAP with Spring ROO?

Thanks,
Ronald
Re: Using Spring Roo with RAP [message #804888 is a reply to message #785388] Thu, 23 February 2012 05:34 Go to previous message
Hi Ronald,

It has gone pretty well--I used Roo to create the initial persistence model and then removed it from the application, as the Roo team says can be done. I wanted to leave it as a part of the project on an ongoing basis for rapid model changes, but found that I couldn't manage the configuration and just didn't have the time to invest in it for that project. However, to get the initial "plumbing" in place and get the system up and running, and the first couple of model iterations, I recommend it.

Cheers,

Lawrence
Previous Topic:Selection Border Table Row
Next Topic:Eclipse Indigo
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 02:32:34 GMT 2024