Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Newcomers » Newcomers » Bad Habbits(several small problems, bothering me the whole day)
icon3.gif  Bad Habbits [message #673521] Mon, 23 May 2011 23:24 Go to next message
SaHiB  is currently offline SaHiB Friend
Hi everbody,

i hope, you can help me with some of my "problems".
I recently changed from an other editor to eclipse, but there are some of it's habbits which bother me.
I'm using the current Helios version for programming php/html/css/js

1. is there any posibility to bind code-templates to a key?
  2. can I teach eclipse to insert a '<br />' when I'm hitting ctrl+return in html-mode, instead of a linebreak?
  3. when mixing html and php, I usually use short tags for outputs. When I start typing <? it auto inserts a <?php ?>, so if i want to use shorttags <?=$foo?> this habbit costs a lot of time - can I deactivate it?
  4. where is the definition list for php keywords stored? I like to have AND/OR also in the keywordlist for syntax highlighting, but don't know where to add it.
  5. really bothering is that the eclipse viewport jumps, when undoing something. If I hit strg+z, it the last step is undone, but the viewport also jumps, so the line where the undoing action happend "jumps" to line 26 of the visible lines. How can i stop this from happening?
  6. when I have an IF in php, followed by a single command, I dont use brackets, but intend the command with one tab in the next line. ctrl+i dont recognize this dependency between the command and the IF, so it dont intend the code, that is only executet if the condition is true (same problem with loops)
    Example:
    if(true)
        foo();
    //ctrl+i changes it to
    if(true)
    foo();

7. another problem with ctrl+i and with shift-tab, is removing indenting. It works fine, as long a there are tabs used for intending. But as soon as you'll get a file, that uses 4 whitespace instead of one tab (or even mixes whitespace and tabs), it fails. How can I make eclipse, to treat 4 white spaces as one tab, when shifting code to the left?
  8. when double clicking on code to select a word, some of the selecting habbits of eclipse are not that productiv for me.
    Example: foo.class.php - double click on foo should select only foo, but in eclipse the whole string foo.class.php is selected. Same problem with foo/bar. Is there any file where I can edit those "stop selecting" characters ?
  9. A last thing: I'd like to make some small text-manipulating-custom-scripts running over my Code, like removing whitespaces, changing some chars against others and stuff like that - is there an easy to use interface for userdefinded scripts, where I can access the content of the current editor and modify it, or do I need to programm a whole plugin for those simple tasks?

thats all so far, a lot of questions and I know, my english isn't the best, but I hope you'll understand it anyways. I also searched for all topics with google, but either I use the wrong keywords, or I am the only one, that is bothered by these things...

Anyway: thanks for yur help and your patience

greetings
SaHiB

[Updated on: Mon, 23 May 2011 23:25]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Bad Habbits [message #675099 is a reply to message #673521] Mon, 30 May 2011 09:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
413 Views, 9 small questions and not a single answer Sad

Is every of these 9 problems impossible to solve? Am I the only one, bothered by these usability problems?
Even an "it's impossible" answer would be a help...

please help

thank you guys!
Re: Bad Habbits [message #675208 is a reply to message #675099] Mon, 30 May 2011 15:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Russell Bateman is currently offline Russell BatemanFriend

On 2011.05.30 3:57, SaHiB wrote:
> 413 Views, 9 small questions and not a single answer :(
>
> Is every of these 9 problems impossible to solve? Am I the only one,
> bothered by these usability problems?
> Even an "it's impossible" answer would be a help...
>
> please help
>
> thank you guys!

First, your English isn't a problem at all. In fact, it's very good.

Second, you've asked your question in the wrong forum. I would have
chosen the Eclipse PDT forum where you'll find PHP developers like yourself.

Hope this helps.
Re: Bad Habbits [message #675421 is a reply to message #675208] Tue, 31 May 2011 13:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Denis Roy is currently offline Denis RoyFriend

On 05/30/2011 11:09 AM, Russell Bateman wrote:
> On 2011.05.30 3:57, SaHiB wrote:
>> 413 Views, 9 small questions and not a single answer :(
>>
>> Is every of these 9 problems impossible to solve? Am I the only one,
>> bothered by these usability problems?
>> Even an "it's impossible" answer would be a help...
>>
>> please help
>>
>> thank you guys!
>
> First, your English isn't a problem at all. In fact, it's very good.
>
> Second, you've asked your question in the wrong forum. I would have
> chosen the Eclipse PDT forum where you'll find PHP developers like
> yourself.

Third, you've asked too many questions. Break it down in to smaller
posts (but don't post them all at the same time) to make it easier to
respond.

Denis Roy
Eclipse Webmaster -- webmaster@eclipse.org
Re: Bad Habbits [message #675470 is a reply to message #675421] Tue, 31 May 2011 15:53 Go to previous message
Denis Roy wrote on Tue, 31 May 2011 09:25
On 05/30/2011 11:09 AM, Russell

Third, you've asked too many questions. Break it down in to smaller
posts (but don't post them all at the same time) to make it easier to
respond.

wouldnt that be spam, if if make 9 posts in a row?

beside, all the problems are non-php-specific, they are abound handling the editor and I think, these probles will ouccure also in other languages like java.
For example the undo-jump thing - isn't that a problem for you, denis? Am I the only one confused by these jumps?

[Updated on: Tue, 31 May 2011 15:53]

Report message to a moderator

Previous Topic:Eclipse RCP Programmer Wanted
Next Topic:Android Development using Eclipse
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 20:52:13 GMT 2024