Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Archived » Buckminster » Building a p2 site for a feature wants lots of extra plugins
Building a p2 site for a feature wants lots of extra plugins [message #672310] Fri, 20 May 2011 16:13 Go to next message
Matthew Webber is currently offline Matthew WebberFriend
I'm having problems using Buckminster to build the p2 site for a feature.

I have a feature project, and the feature.xml lists 7 plugins (all the plugins are in my target platform).

When I run the site.p2 action for the feature, it materializes the plugins listed for the feature (it correctly finds them in the target platform), but then it goes off and tries to find all the dependencies of the plugins.

I don't want that. I have a list of plugins, and all I want is for those explicitly listed plugins to be packaged up into a p2 site.

What's the best way to achieve that? It seems that Buckminster wants the dependencies to be materialized to the workspace, even though they will not end up in the resulting p2 site.
Re: Building a p2 site for a feature wants lots of extra plugins [message #672313 is a reply to message #672310] Fri, 20 May 2011 16:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
My mistake. The problem occurred when I tried to materialize the feature. So this is normal Buckminster behavior (resolvign dependencies), and I guess I need to use an advisor node in the CQuery (with "skip component") to override this.
Re: Building a p2 site for a feature wants lots of extra plugins [message #672319 is a reply to message #672313] Fri, 20 May 2011 16:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Henrik Lindberg is currently offline Henrik LindbergFriend
On 5/20/11 6:25 PM, Matthew Webber wrote:
> My mistake. The problem occurred when I tried to materialize the
> feature. So this is normal Buckminster behavior (resolvign
> dependencies), and I guess I need to use an advisor node in the CQuery
> (with "skip component") to override this.

There is a difference between included bundles and bundles you depend
on. Buckminster will include all bundles that are listed as being
included in a feature being published and they need to be present.

The contract is that if you include them in your feature, then you have
assumed responsibility over them in terms of installation, management
etc, and they may not be easily combined with other features. If you
instead depend on them, you simply say that they also need to be
installed from someplace else.

When you make this separation, you need a second config for development
that lists all the things you need in your environment to be able to
develop (and this is the feature you materialize when setting up a
workspace).

Did that help?

- henrik
Re: Building a p2 site for a feature wants lots of extra plugins [message #673342 is a reply to message #672319] Mon, 23 May 2011 09:51 Go to previous message
Thanks Henrik, that's useful. In this case, the feature is just there to publish some plugins to a p2 site. The p2 site will be referenced by the target platform for a "real" product, for which there's another feature that specifies all the dependencies.

I think this is consistent with how Buckminster views the world, and follows your comments about - please let me kow if it sounds the wrong way to go!

Thanks
Matthew
Previous Topic:Headless: Qualifier output
Next Topic:Unable to export as .html / .xml / .txt using eclipse emma code coverage tool
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 22:52:12 GMT 2024