Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Language IDEs » Java Development Tools (JDT) » Eclipse Helios SR2 Stops Progressing While Renaming a Java Class with F2
icon9.gif  Eclipse Helios SR2 Stops Progressing While Renaming a Java Class with F2 [message #672013] Thu, 19 May 2011 15:11 Go to next message
Stephen Wick is currently offline Stephen WickFriend
I am using Eclipse Helios SR2 for JEE Developers on Windows Vista 32-bit version.

When I tried to rename DashboardReports.java by pressing the F2 key, the dialog "Rename Compilation Unit" poped up, and it just stopped at "Creating workspace modifications..." I let it sit for 7 minutes with no progress. Eclipse is responding, it just won't let me exit the dialog, so I have to kill the eclipse.exe with Task Manager. I've attached a screenshot.

index.php/fa/2777/0/

I don't know if this is a bug or a problem with my workspace. Let me know if I can provide you any more information to help determine the cause of the problem and the solution.

Cheers!
Re: Eclipse Helios SR2 Stops Progressing While Renaming a Java Class with F2 [message #672163 is a reply to message #672013] Fri, 20 May 2011 06:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Satyam Kandula is currently offline Satyam KandulaFriend
It will definitely help if you could file a bug with a reproducible testcase.
Re: Eclipse Helios SR2 Stops Progressing While Renaming a Java Class with F2 [message #672309 is a reply to message #672163] Fri, 20 May 2011 16:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Stephen Wick is currently offline Stephen WickFriend
Okay, I'll try.

Thanks.
Re: Eclipse Helios SR2 Stops Progressing While Renaming a Java Class with F2 [message #827721 is a reply to message #672309] Fri, 23 March 2012 18:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dale Seng is currently offline Dale SengFriend
Stephen Wick wrote on Fri, 20 May 2011 12:08
Okay, I'll try.

Thanks.

Did you ever get anywhere? I've got the same issue
Re: Eclipse Helios SR2 Stops Progressing While Renaming a Java Class with F2 [message #827733 is a reply to message #827721] Fri, 23 March 2012 18:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Maybe not everything here is required, but at least I got past the problem.

After killing Eclipse from the task manager, I opened it up again. Got a concurrent modification exception and dismissed (might have been unrelated). closed all projects. closed eclipse. opened eclipse. Window > Preferences > Validation. Then uncheck the Manual and Build boxes next to HTML Syntax Validator and JSP Syntax Validator. close project. close eclipse. open eclipse. open project. refactor > rename now works.

I think the problem is that this project has a badgillion jsps and I never wait for it to actually validate them all. I just kill that process.
Re: Eclipse Helios SR2 Stops Progressing While Renaming a Java Class with F2 [message #827743 is a reply to message #827733] Fri, 23 March 2012 18:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ok, that previous post might have been a red herring; I got the same error even after turning off that syntax validation!

But what I did is UNcheck "Update references" and then hit "next". Then I hit "back", CHECKED "Update references", and at least it didn't hang. It didn't update the references, though, hehe. So wherever that class was referenced, I got a compile error. This is pretty crappy. I've used Helios for a while...maybe it's time for Indigo.
Re: Eclipse Helios SR2 Stops Progressing While Renaming a Java Class with F2 [message #827765 is a reply to message #827743] Fri, 23 March 2012 19:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
One more bit of information...my "success" above only works one time per Eclipse startup. In other words, if I do a second refactor > rename, it hangs (irrespective of the update references setting).
Re: Eclipse Helios SR2 Stops Progressing While Renaming a Java Class with F2 [message #827772 is a reply to message #827765] Fri, 23 March 2012 19:24 Go to previous message
>...maybe it's time for Indigo.

I'm downloader number 28 for >>juno<<
Previous Topic:Cant get syntax help with XML
Next Topic:Two clicks on two different tabs interpretted as double-click
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Mar 19 06:09:34 GMT 2024